- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Schnucks to close two Rockford stores
By Jim Hagerty
Schnucks Markets, Inc., will close two of its 10 Rockford-area supermarkets at the end of May, the St. Louis-based chain announced Thursday, May 1.
The move will close the 42,000-square-foot store at 2514 S. Alpine Road, and the market at 1715 Rural St., Rockford. Both stores will close at 5 p.m., Saturday, May 31. Company officials say the 139 employees affected by the move will be offered jobs at remaining Rockford locations.
The company plans to find a tenant for the Rural Street store. Schnucks acquired the 30,000-square-foot building in 2011, when it purchased area Hilander stores from The Kroger Co. Schnucks leases the Alpine Road property from a company based in Mequon, Wis. The lease expires July 31.
Schnucks is also closing its in-store restaurants in the East State Street and Loves Park stores, eliminating 24 full- and part-time positions.
“In order to stay competitive and offer the value our customers want and need, we are discontinuing services currently underutilized by the majority of our customers,” CEO Todd Schnuck said. “Eliminating positions is always a last resort, but these are directly related to the closed functions and could not be absorbed. Our popular pizzerias will remain open and, in fact, we are expanding the menu selection. In order to ensure the continuation of excellent dining experiences, the in-store seating areas will remain.”
The closures leaves Schnucks with eight remaining area stores, including East State Street, Harlem Road, Charles Street, Roscoe and Cherry Valley.
Schnucks was founded in 1939 in St. Louis. The company operates 101 stores in Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Iowa and Wisconsin.