- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
- Tales from the Trough: Rockford skates into all-star break on high note
- Literary Hook: A poem for February
- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
UPDATE: Police probe morning homicide
Online Staff Report
The man wanted in connection with a homicide that occurred early Saturday morning, May 3, is in custody.
Jamie Key, 26, of 1014 15th St., has been charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder. The charges stem from an incident that sent police to Key’s home at around 3 a.m. When officers arrived, they discovered Key’s girlfriend, 24-year-old Savannah Johnson, dead. Police said she had been shot and stabbed. Key had fled the scene.
During their investigation, police received information that Key was located in an apartment at 2208 8th St., a large multi-family building. Officers secured the residence, made contact with Key and asked him to exit the apartment and surrender.
Key initially refused to exit, which led to a six-hour standoff with police. Rockford Police Department negotiators maintained communication with Key and convinced him to surrender, leading to a successful apprehension without injury to the suspect or officers.
Key is scheduled to appear in court for a bond hearing Monday, May 5.
An exact cause of Johnson’s death has not been announced. Her death marks Rockford’s seventh homicide of the year.
Online Staff Report
A woman was pronounced dead early Saturday morning, May 3, after police responded to domestic disturbance at a Rockford residence.
At around 3 a.m., officers were dispatched to a residence in the 1000 block of 15th Street for a possible domestic disturbance. There, they found a 24-year-old woman, dead.
While no suspects have been named, a source told The Rock River Times that police have searched a building in area of Eight Street, where they believe a male allegedly involved in the killing was hiding. As of this report, no arrests have been announced.
A cause of the woman’s death has not been released.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Rockford Police Department at (815) 987-5824 or Crime Stoppers at (815) 963-7867.