- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Beloit woman killed in chase crash
Online Staff Report
A Beloit, Wis., woman was killed Sunday, May 11, after being hit by a car driven by a man fleeing from police.
Around 7:40 p.m., City of Beloit Police officers were dispatched to the 900 block of 10th Street for a report of an unwanted person. During the call, officers attempted to take 40-year-old Christopher Rutherford into custody. Rutherford struggled with officers and was able to speed away from the scene in a car. Police fired several rounds at Rutherford’s car, but were unable to stop the vehicle before it hit 47-year-old Sheila Rosenbaum, of Beloit. Rosenbaum was transported to a local hospital and was pronounced dead.
Rutherford later crashed in the 800 block of Roosevelt, then led officers on a foot chase through residential yards in the 700 block of Ninth Street before he was arrested. It was discovered after he was taken into custody that Rutherford was hit by gunfire during in the incident. He was transported to the hospital and treated for his wounds.
The officer involved in the shooting has been temporarily assigned to administrative duty while the case is investigated by the Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation.
Charges against Rutherford are pending in the Rock County Circuit Court. His lodged in the Rock County Jail.