- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Beloit woman killed in chase crash
Online Staff Report
A Beloit, Wis., woman was killed Sunday, May 11, after being hit by a car driven by a man fleeing from police.
Around 7:40 p.m., City of Beloit Police officers were dispatched to the 900 block of 10th Street for a report of an unwanted person. During the call, officers attempted to take 40-year-old Christopher Rutherford into custody. Rutherford struggled with officers and was able to speed away from the scene in a car. Police fired several rounds at Rutherford’s car, but were unable to stop the vehicle before it hit 47-year-old Sheila Rosenbaum, of Beloit. Rosenbaum was transported to a local hospital and was pronounced dead.
Rutherford later crashed in the 800 block of Roosevelt, then led officers on a foot chase through residential yards in the 700 block of Ninth Street before he was arrested. It was discovered after he was taken into custody that Rutherford was hit by gunfire during in the incident. He was transported to the hospital and treated for his wounds.
The officer involved in the shooting has been temporarily assigned to administrative duty while the case is investigated by the Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation.
Charges against Rutherford are pending in the Rock County Circuit Court. His lodged in the Rock County Jail.