- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
‘Animal Mania’ at Lockwood Park Saturday, May 17
Rockford Park District invites everyone to Lockwood Park for “Animal Mania” from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 17 (weather permitting). This free spring event offers a day of fun in the country for the whole family.
Activities will take place throughout the park, and will include wagon and pony rides, a horse extravaganza, horseshoeing demonstration, Birds of Prey presentation by Atwood Center staff, Pioneer Day activities, and games and crafts.
Children can learn about the park’s animals in the Children’s Farm area, and observe chicken hatching, sponsored by the Winnebago-Boone Farm Bureau.
Additional activities scheduled for this year’s event include the following:
- Armed Forces Day activities — Show a military ID and receive 10 free tickets to be used for event activities and food; military information booths, display of medals and photos, write a letter to deployed troops; mounted drill team presentation — Tribute to the Armed Forces; and
- New Native American Village — Step back in time and view the Native American Village displays and artifacts.
“If someone has not had the opportunity to experience Lockwood Park Trailside Equestrian Centre and Children’s Farm, we hope they will consider coming out for this event,” said Lockwood Park Manager Debbie Ackerman. “Animal Mania kicks off our season at Lockwood Park, and is a great low-cost event for the entire family to enjoy.”
Admission to the event is free; fees will be charged for some activities, and refreshments will be available for purchase from the Friends of Lockwood Park. Horse trailer parking and trail rides will be closed for the day of the event. Lockwood Park is at 5201 Safford Road, Rockford. Event fliers with the schedule of activities will be available at Lockwood Park the day of the event; programs and events are subject to change.
The mission of Lockwood Park is to help people enjoy life through their connection to animals. The park programs provide a variety of experiences and learning opportunities to promote healthy, positive interactions between people and animals. Lockwood Park is situated on 146 acres, and offers 15 miles of multi-use scenic trails for hiking, biking or horseback riding.
For more about Lockwood Park and equestrian programs, visit rockfordparkdistrict.org/lockwood, or call (815) 987-8809. For information about accessibility for visitors with disabilities, contact Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
From the May 14-20, 2014, issue