- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
- Neighborhood feel key for Rural on Tap
- TRRT March 25-31 | Online Edition
- State Roundup: Plaintiffs join Rauner on fair share case
Two RVC math professors honored
Two Rock Valley College (RVC) math professors have recently been recognized for their work.
Dr. Paul McCombs was honored by the Illinois Section of the Mathematics Association of America (ISMAA) as the recipient of the 2014 Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics at their annual conference March 28.
In 1991, the Mathematical Association of America instituted Awards for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics to honor college or university teachers who have been widely recognized as extraordinarily successful and whose teaching effectiveness has been shown to have had influence beyond their own institutions.
This commendation is extraordinary considering that the ISMAA is a professional organization primarily serving four-year colleges and universities in the state. In fact, Dr. McCombs is only the third professor from a community college to ever win the award and the first since 2002, according to an ISMAA official.
Dr. McCombs was also recognized as RVC’s Faculty of the Year back in January.
Meantime, RVC math professor Rodger Hergert was honored by the Illinois Mathematical Association of Community Colleges (IMACC) as the recipient of the Distinguished Service Award at their annual conference April 4.
The Distinguished Service Award honors one member each year for a career of outstanding service to IMACC. The requirements for the award take into account years of service with the organization as well as time served as an elected officer with IMACC, and involvement on IMACC committees and conferences.
Hergert not only served as president of IMACC but was also the ConneXion(IMACC newsletter) editor, and has been continuously involved with IMACC committees.
From the May 14-20, 2014, issue