- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Two RVC math professors honored
Two Rock Valley College (RVC) math professors have recently been recognized for their work.
Dr. Paul McCombs was honored by the Illinois Section of the Mathematics Association of America (ISMAA) as the recipient of the 2014 Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics at their annual conference March 28.
In 1991, the Mathematical Association of America instituted Awards for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics to honor college or university teachers who have been widely recognized as extraordinarily successful and whose teaching effectiveness has been shown to have had influence beyond their own institutions.
This commendation is extraordinary considering that the ISMAA is a professional organization primarily serving four-year colleges and universities in the state. In fact, Dr. McCombs is only the third professor from a community college to ever win the award and the first since 2002, according to an ISMAA official.
Dr. McCombs was also recognized as RVC’s Faculty of the Year back in January.
Meantime, RVC math professor Rodger Hergert was honored by the Illinois Mathematical Association of Community Colleges (IMACC) as the recipient of the Distinguished Service Award at their annual conference April 4.
The Distinguished Service Award honors one member each year for a career of outstanding service to IMACC. The requirements for the award take into account years of service with the organization as well as time served as an elected officer with IMACC, and involvement on IMACC committees and conferences.
Hergert not only served as president of IMACC but was also the ConneXion(IMACC newsletter) editor, and has been continuously involved with IMACC committees.
From the May 14-20, 2014, issue