Schnucks — a dirty word in Rockford

Schnucks was always a derogatory word (same spelling?) when I was growing up, so when I heard they were coming to town, I had to chuckle. I have been going to the Rural Oaks store my whole life and have lived within a half-mile of the store for 20 years. I walk over there at least twice a week. I liked most of the employees, and Schnucks customer service in St. Louis was always helpful and responsive, stocking items I suggested at Rural Oaks. Schnucks brought in their own labeled foods, which were, for the most part (imo) lower quality compared to the name brands, fixed up the Hilander stores, and then started closing them. First was the North Main store (a very nice store) while keeping the Rockton Avenue store (a bad neighborhood) open. You can’t tell me the Rockton Avenue store was (is) doing better than the North Main, Alpine or Rural Oaks stores, especially after Walmart moved in less than a mile away. I don’t believe it. Schnucks has not been able to keep the Hilander stores they bought open, showing poor management and business decisions. When they close the Rural Oaks store, I will not give Schnucks one more cent of my business.

Doug Campbell

From the May 21-27, 2014, issue

6 thoughts on “Schnucks — a dirty word in Rockford

• May 21, 2014 at 9:46 am

Why are you waiting until they close Rural Oaks—don’t give them anymore your money NOW!

• May 21, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Rural Oaks is all some people have. Seniors that do not drive need this store!

• May 21, 2014 at 2:52 pm

It was a shame the North Main store was closed considering some recent improvements on Main/Hwy 2 plus its accessibility to Boylan and Sportscore. Also don’t be too critical of the Rockton Ave store. Yes the neighborhood is spotty but the store itself has good managers and employees who are considerably friendlier than other stores especially Walmart. Unfortunately we are now in the age of big corporations who want to control where you shop and what to buy at their price. They don’t see customers just dollar signs.

• May 21, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Bad business decision by Schnucks. They promised they would keep this store open when they bought it because of the niche it served. If they wanted profitability they could have cut the hours, it didn’t need to stay open so late at night. Full time employees are being sent to other Schnucks stores and will be knocked down to part time. Seems like Schnucks is just concerned with the bottom line. Not their customers, neighbors or employees.

• May 22, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I can’t believe they stayed open as long as they did. I liked the hilander store but not after they were bought out. Maybe if they lowered their prices like woodmans they would of stayed open

• May 22, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Turns out Schnucks owns the property and has a non-compete clause to keep any other grocery store from coming in. What is needed is someone to purchase the property and bring in an independent grocer. Schnucks is planning to strip the store and take a write off. They have probably been planning this for years. This closing will have a VERY negative impact on this neighborhood.

Comments are closed.

Enjoy The Rock River Times? Help spread the word!