Gun-free zones don’t protect us

OK, now I’m really confused. Liberals have been telling us all along that if we just outlaw guns, there will be no more gun violence. Here’s the source of my bewilderment. There is a restaurant in North Carolina that has a sign posted in its front window that specifically prohibits guns. According to the liberal message, that sign protects everyone within that establishment from gun violence, right? How is it, then, that this restaurant was robbed on May 21 by someone carrying a gun?

In addition, how is it that people in an Aurora, Colo., theater, Sandy Hook Elementary School, Fort Hood, and the list goes on ad nauseam, managed to get themselves shot in gun-free zones? The liberals tell us outlawing guns (as in gun-free zones) will protect us because everyone will be disarmed. Are they lying to us? If they are lying to us, they are volitionally doing us great harm by prohibiting other people with guns in those places who could neutralize the perpetrators.

My question is this: why would the liberals wish us harm by taking away the only thing that could protect us, thereby leaving a clear, unimpeded path for wrongdoers?

Dave Willis

From the May 28-June 3, 2014, issue

6 thoughts on “Gun-free zones don’t protect us

• May 28, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Hey, Dave? We liberals want ALL guns outlawed EVERYWHERE!! Have you read the recent statistics:

The U.S. is downright weird compared to civilized Western Europe or Australia (which enacted gun control after a mass shooting in 1996 and there have been no further such incidents).

Number of Murders by Firearms, US, 2012: 8,855

Percentage of all Murders that were committed by firearms in US: 69.3

Suicides in U.S. 2011: 38,285

Gun Suicides in U.S., 2011: 19,766

Number of Murders by firearms, England and Wales, 2012-2013: 30
    (equivalent to 164 U.S. murders).

Percentage of all murders in England and Wales that were committed by firearm: 5.4 percent.

Number of suicides in England and Wales, 2011: 4871 (equivalent to about 25,818 in US or 31% lower)

Number of suicides by Firearam in England and Wales, 2011: 84

For more on murder by firearms in Britain, see the BBC.

The U.S. has the highest gun ownership in the world and the highest murder rate in the developed world.

AlterNet May 26, 2014

Don’t you think it’s about time we got a handle on all of this gun killing? I do and I am proud to call myself a Liberal!!

• May 28, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Please share with the liberals all the potential gun violence that has been stopped by an ordinary citizen under conceal and carry. Not off duty cops, not security guards, not military but just your average gun toting citizen.

• May 29, 2014 at 5:36 pm

You can’t find statistics of “potential gun violence that has been stopped by an ordinary citizen under conceal and carry” BECAUSE THERE HAS BEEN NONE REPORTED BY CITIZENS OR POLICE. If ALL guns were outlawed like CIVILIZED Western European countries and Australian, there would be NO NEED for conceal and carry! What is WRONG with you? Can’t we have a safe country WITHOUT guns? Do you believe that there are no criminals in Europe or Australia? Those countries are doing VERY WELL without guns. Couldn’t we at least TRY it and see what happens? It is worth a try.

• May 31, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Dear Almost Retired,
    It sounds like you do not love America or the principals on which it was founded. When you finally do retire, you should do so in one of those “safe” continents you mentioned (Europe, Australia) and leave America to those who love it and honor its constitution.

• June 2, 2014 at 8:49 am

My post was directed to Mr. Willis and yes there are few if any situations (excluding those I mentioned) where conceal and carry has prevented gun violence.

• June 3, 2014 at 8:47 pm

John K., I shouldn’t have to move to another continent when I retire just to be safe!! This is the country where I was born and served. I believe in the principals my country was founded on but bearing arms is for defending our country from INVADERS, not each other!! The gun violence in this country is appalling. WHY must we all possess guns, pray tell?
    Albert, sorry if I misspoke.

Comments are closed.

Enjoy The Rock River Times? Help spread the word!