- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Jefferson senior gets Gates Millennium scholarship
Gerardo Castillo, a senior at Rockford Jefferson High School, has been selected as a Gates Millennium Scholar. Gerardo will use the scholarship to attend Harvard University in the fall.
The Gates Millennium Scholar Program provides 1,000 scholarships every year, which are good through graduation at the college or university of the student’s choice. The scholarship covers any unmet need. There are 59 Gates Millennium Scholars in Illinois; Gerardo is the only recipient from northern Illinois and the Rockford region.
Gerardo is planning to major in chemistry and, after college, would like to attend medical school. As a Gates Millennium Scholar, he receives help with master’s and doctoral study as well. Targeted fields for graduate school funding are computer science, education, engineering, library sciences, mathematics, public health or science.
From the May 28-June 3, 2014, issue