- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Jefferson senior gets Gates Millennium scholarship
Gerardo Castillo, a senior at Rockford Jefferson High School, has been selected as a Gates Millennium Scholar. Gerardo will use the scholarship to attend Harvard University in the fall.
The Gates Millennium Scholar Program provides 1,000 scholarships every year, which are good through graduation at the college or university of the student’s choice. The scholarship covers any unmet need. There are 59 Gates Millennium Scholars in Illinois; Gerardo is the only recipient from northern Illinois and the Rockford region.
Gerardo is planning to major in chemistry and, after college, would like to attend medical school. As a Gates Millennium Scholar, he receives help with master’s and doctoral study as well. Targeted fields for graduate school funding are computer science, education, engineering, library sciences, mathematics, public health or science.
From the May 28-June 3, 2014, issue