- IceHogs drop Wolves 4-3 at home
- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
Jefferson senior gets Gates Millennium scholarship
Gerardo Castillo, a senior at Rockford Jefferson High School, has been selected as a Gates Millennium Scholar. Gerardo will use the scholarship to attend Harvard University in the fall.
The Gates Millennium Scholar Program provides 1,000 scholarships every year, which are good through graduation at the college or university of the student’s choice. The scholarship covers any unmet need. There are 59 Gates Millennium Scholars in Illinois; Gerardo is the only recipient from northern Illinois and the Rockford region.
Gerardo is planning to major in chemistry and, after college, would like to attend medical school. As a Gates Millennium Scholar, he receives help with master’s and doctoral study as well. Targeted fields for graduate school funding are computer science, education, engineering, library sciences, mathematics, public health or science.
From the May 28-June 3, 2014, issue