- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
Jefferson senior gets Gates Millennium scholarship
Gerardo Castillo, a senior at Rockford Jefferson High School, has been selected as a Gates Millennium Scholar. Gerardo will use the scholarship to attend Harvard University in the fall.
The Gates Millennium Scholar Program provides 1,000 scholarships every year, which are good through graduation at the college or university of the student’s choice. The scholarship covers any unmet need. There are 59 Gates Millennium Scholars in Illinois; Gerardo is the only recipient from northern Illinois and the Rockford region.
Gerardo is planning to major in chemistry and, after college, would like to attend medical school. As a Gates Millennium Scholar, he receives help with master’s and doctoral study as well. Targeted fields for graduate school funding are computer science, education, engineering, library sciences, mathematics, public health or science.
From the May 28-June 3, 2014, issue