- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Local teen to attend national First Tee academy
Allison Shields from The First Tee of Greater Rockford has been selected to attend The First Tee Life Skills and Leadership Academy in San Diego, Calif., July 23-29. Shields will join more than 90 junior golfers from The First Tee, ages 13-17, to participate in this national event.
The Academy, staged by The First Tee home office and hosted by The First Tee of San Diego, Sycuan Golf Resort and San Diego State University, provides participants valuable character education and leadership instruction during the week-long event. Participants will have the opportunity to develop and hone skills to become leaders in their chapters, schools and communities, while experiencing championship golf, career exploration and dorm living.
Shields, 15, is a sophomore at Freeport High School in Freeport, Ill. She has been active at the chapter for five years, and will participate in Eagle level programming this summer and also assist with classes for younger participants. She also volunteers in the community, teaches Sunday School, plays varsity golf and has been inducted into the National Honor Society.
For more about The First Tee of Greater Rockford, visit www.thefirstteegreaterrockford.org.
From the May 28-June 3, 2014, issue