- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Local teen to attend national First Tee academy
Allison Shields from The First Tee of Greater Rockford has been selected to attend The First Tee Life Skills and Leadership Academy in San Diego, Calif., July 23-29. Shields will join more than 90 junior golfers from The First Tee, ages 13-17, to participate in this national event.
The Academy, staged by The First Tee home office and hosted by The First Tee of San Diego, Sycuan Golf Resort and San Diego State University, provides participants valuable character education and leadership instruction during the week-long event. Participants will have the opportunity to develop and hone skills to become leaders in their chapters, schools and communities, while experiencing championship golf, career exploration and dorm living.
Shields, 15, is a sophomore at Freeport High School in Freeport, Ill. She has been active at the chapter for five years, and will participate in Eagle level programming this summer and also assist with classes for younger participants. She also volunteers in the community, teaches Sunday School, plays varsity golf and has been inducted into the National Honor Society.
For more about The First Tee of Greater Rockford, visit www.thefirstteegreaterrockford.org.
From the May 28-June 3, 2014, issue