- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Local teen to attend national First Tee academy
Allison Shields from The First Tee of Greater Rockford has been selected to attend The First Tee Life Skills and Leadership Academy in San Diego, Calif., July 23-29. Shields will join more than 90 junior golfers from The First Tee, ages 13-17, to participate in this national event.
The Academy, staged by The First Tee home office and hosted by The First Tee of San Diego, Sycuan Golf Resort and San Diego State University, provides participants valuable character education and leadership instruction during the week-long event. Participants will have the opportunity to develop and hone skills to become leaders in their chapters, schools and communities, while experiencing championship golf, career exploration and dorm living.
Shields, 15, is a sophomore at Freeport High School in Freeport, Ill. She has been active at the chapter for five years, and will participate in Eagle level programming this summer and also assist with classes for younger participants. She also volunteers in the community, teaches Sunday School, plays varsity golf and has been inducted into the National Honor Society.
For more about The First Tee of Greater Rockford, visit www.thefirstteegreaterrockford.org.
From the May 28-June 3, 2014, issue