Park District kicks off trolley, ‘Forest City Queen’ season May 31-June 1
Rockford Park District will host its annual “Trolley Good Time” event from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, May 31-June 1, at the Trolley Station in Riverview Park, 324 N. Madison St., Rockford. The event will celebrate the opening of the Park District’s rail-based Trolley Car 36 and Forest City Queen riverboat for the summer season.
Operations Manager Amy McIntyre noted: “This year is bigger and better than ever, with our expanded two-day kick-off event. More fun and more interactive activities are available this year for families, including a model train show, a bounce house, and rides on the Forest City Queen and Trolley Car 36. What better way to celebrate the end of the school year than having a ‘Trolley Good Time’ with the Rockford Park District?”
Rides/cruises will run on the hour at noon, 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m. both days.
Other highlights include the following:
• Interactive games and activities provided by Nicholas Conservatory & Atwood Environmental Education staff;
• Arts and crafts
• Model train show presented by the Northern Illinois Historical Railway Association & Rock River Valley Division of the National Model Railroad Association;
• Magic show by Zack Purcell of TNZ Magic (11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday);
• Atwood Center’s Birds of Prey presentation (Saturday only);
• Face painting;
• Rapid Shot at Junior IceHogs Training Facility;
• Live radio remotes;
• Meet mascot Rocky and friends; and
• Food available for purchase.
This event is one of many family friendly low-fee activities offered by the Rockford Park District; for a list of ride fees, as well as information about private rentals, group and field trips, new youth programs, and Forest City Queen meal cruises, visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/boatandtrolley. For information about support available to passengers with disabilities, call (815) 987-8894 or (815) 987-8800.
From the May 28-June 3, 2014, issue