- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
SwedishAmerican’s Explorer Post program to honor local high school students June 3
Online Staff Report
SwedishAmerican Health System’s Explorer Post program is hosting an achievement ceremony for local high school students at 7 p.m., Tuesday, June 3, at SwedishAmerican Hospital, 1401 E. State St., Rockford.
SwedishAmerican’s Explorer Post is a career education program offered by Irving, Texas-based Learning for Life, a subsidiary of the Boy Scouts of America. Participants are young men and women who are at least 14 (and have completed eighth grade) and not yet 21 years old.
Working in partnership with school guidance counselors, Learning for Life identified a select group of area high school students for participation in SwedishAmerican’s one-year program, which began Oct. 16.
SwedishAmerican is the only local health system to sponsor an Explorer Post program. Employees from the organization serve as leaders, working with students once per month to explore a variety of career opportunities, including Physical Medicine; Pharmacy; Laboratory Science; Finance; Nursing; Information Technology; Respiratory Therapy; and Health Information Management.
“By sponsoring this program, SwedishAmerican is taking an active step in developing today’s youth and tomorrow’s leaders,” said SwedishAmerican Director of Information Security Sheryl Y. Head, who serves as one of the program’s leaders. “We are thrilled to host our first achievement ceremony and look forward to continuing the program for years to come.”
To learn more about SwedishAmerican’s Explorer Post program, call Lesley Medrano at (815) 961-2394 or Sheryl Head at (779) 696-7224.
Posted May 28, 2014