- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Pianist David Syme at Mendelssohn June 7
Enjoy an evening of sophistication with piano virtuoso David Syme, who will perform a program of “Elegant Informality” following a sparkling reception Saturday, June 7, at Mendelssohn Hall, 406 N. Main St., Rockford. Reception is at 6 p.m., concert is at 7:30 p.m.
Described by Irish Times critic Michael Dervan as “a fearless player, with a go-for-it, heart on sleeve approach,” David Syme’s performance will include music by Beethoven, Chopin and Liszt, with background stories from the lives of the composers and from David’s far-flung career.
This fund-raising concert to benefit the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will include a pre-concert reception with hors d’oeuvres and champagne and will feature tours of the historic Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center building.
Syme, an American piano virtuoso living in Ireland, has had a long and colorful career. An alumnus of Juilliard and Indiana University, he was schooled in the grand tradition of the great masters and was a protégé of the legendary Jorge Bolet. He has recorded two dozen CDs and has performed in Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Kennedy Center, Wigmore Hall, and in major venues in 17 European countries, Canada and Mexico. Syme has twice appeared with the Rockford Symphony Orchestra under Steve Larsen’s direction.
Concert-only tickets are $30. Concert and 6 p.m. Sparkling Reception tickets are $45 (presale only).
Call (815) 964-9713 for more information or to purchase tickets.
Syme will be also performing at Temple Beth-El in a program titled “Jewish Roots and the Classics” following Erev Shabbat Service at 7:30 p.m., June 6, at 1203 Comanche Drive. Call (815) 398-5020 for more information.
These concerts are presented by the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, Temple Beth-El and the Jewish Federation of Greater Rockford. To learn more about Syme, visit http://symepiano.com/.
From the June 4-10, 2014, issue