- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Pianist David Syme at Mendelssohn June 7
Enjoy an evening of sophistication with piano virtuoso David Syme, who will perform a program of “Elegant Informality” following a sparkling reception Saturday, June 7, at Mendelssohn Hall, 406 N. Main St., Rockford. Reception is at 6 p.m., concert is at 7:30 p.m.
Described by Irish Times critic Michael Dervan as “a fearless player, with a go-for-it, heart on sleeve approach,” David Syme’s performance will include music by Beethoven, Chopin and Liszt, with background stories from the lives of the composers and from David’s far-flung career.
This fund-raising concert to benefit the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will include a pre-concert reception with hors d’oeuvres and champagne and will feature tours of the historic Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center building.
Syme, an American piano virtuoso living in Ireland, has had a long and colorful career. An alumnus of Juilliard and Indiana University, he was schooled in the grand tradition of the great masters and was a protégé of the legendary Jorge Bolet. He has recorded two dozen CDs and has performed in Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Kennedy Center, Wigmore Hall, and in major venues in 17 European countries, Canada and Mexico. Syme has twice appeared with the Rockford Symphony Orchestra under Steve Larsen’s direction.
Concert-only tickets are $30. Concert and 6 p.m. Sparkling Reception tickets are $45 (presale only).
Call (815) 964-9713 for more information or to purchase tickets.
Syme will be also performing at Temple Beth-El in a program titled “Jewish Roots and the Classics” following Erev Shabbat Service at 7:30 p.m., June 6, at 1203 Comanche Drive. Call (815) 398-5020 for more information.
These concerts are presented by the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, Temple Beth-El and the Jewish Federation of Greater Rockford. To learn more about Syme, visit http://symepiano.com/.
From the June 4-10, 2014, issue