- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Pianist David Syme at Mendelssohn June 7
Enjoy an evening of sophistication with piano virtuoso David Syme, who will perform a program of “Elegant Informality” following a sparkling reception Saturday, June 7, at Mendelssohn Hall, 406 N. Main St., Rockford. Reception is at 6 p.m., concert is at 7:30 p.m.
Described by Irish Times critic Michael Dervan as “a fearless player, with a go-for-it, heart on sleeve approach,” David Syme’s performance will include music by Beethoven, Chopin and Liszt, with background stories from the lives of the composers and from David’s far-flung career.
This fund-raising concert to benefit the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will include a pre-concert reception with hors d’oeuvres and champagne and will feature tours of the historic Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center building.
Syme, an American piano virtuoso living in Ireland, has had a long and colorful career. An alumnus of Juilliard and Indiana University, he was schooled in the grand tradition of the great masters and was a protégé of the legendary Jorge Bolet. He has recorded two dozen CDs and has performed in Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Kennedy Center, Wigmore Hall, and in major venues in 17 European countries, Canada and Mexico. Syme has twice appeared with the Rockford Symphony Orchestra under Steve Larsen’s direction.
Concert-only tickets are $30. Concert and 6 p.m. Sparkling Reception tickets are $45 (presale only).
Call (815) 964-9713 for more information or to purchase tickets.
Syme will be also performing at Temple Beth-El in a program titled “Jewish Roots and the Classics” following Erev Shabbat Service at 7:30 p.m., June 6, at 1203 Comanche Drive. Call (815) 398-5020 for more information.
These concerts are presented by the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, Temple Beth-El and the Jewish Federation of Greater Rockford. To learn more about Syme, visit http://symepiano.com/.
From the June 4-10, 2014, issue