- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
- Tube Talk: A bite out of the competition
- Rockford Rocked: A chat with local musician Tony Walker
- Drafts & Fare: Women brewers find more recognition in market
Illinoisans say a smile is most important physical feature
Online Staff Report
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — A new survey from Delta Dental of Illinois finds more reasons to celebrate the smile during National Smile Month this June. According to the survey of Illinois residents, a smile is the most important physical feature that contributes to a person’s attractiveness. And seven of 10 Illinoisans (70 percent) say a smile has some bearing on a person’s overall success.
Nearly one-half of Illinoisans (49 percent) cited the smile as the most important physical feature, followed by eyes (23 percent) and physique (20 percent). Men and women agreed on the order, though women said they put more emphasis on a person’s eyes.
According to Bernie Glossy, president and CEO of Delta Dental of Illinois, the company sponsored the Oral Health and Well-Being Survey to shine a spotlight on the importance of oral health and its relation to overall well-being.
“Delta Dental of Illinois is dedicated to improving oral health, so we asked Illinois residents about a wide variety of topics, both serious and light, related to their oral health,” Glossy says. “One finding is that people who go to the dentist at least once a year are actually more likely to feel better about their lives.”
Illinoisans like their smiles
Seven of 10 Illinoisans (70 percent) say they like their smile, and more than a third (34 percent) wouldn’t change a thing about it. Those who would change their smile most frequently cited cosmetic improvements such as whitening or straightening of teeth.
Glossy says, “The fact that most people in Illinois like their smiles is a good sign, and Delta Dental of Illinois is committed to providing access to great oral health care and education so Illinoisans can continue to feel good about their smiles.”
Posted June 6, 2014