- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Literary Hook: A poem for the summer season: ‘Wisdom’s Wild Fruition’
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Here is a poem celebrating the summer season, now on its way to fruition.
Wisdom’s Wild Fruition
Because the price of wisdom is so high,
like trumpet vines in wild fruition,
wisdom tangles and spirals to the sky
and cannot be controlled. Come, completion
of roots, bulbs, and seeds. Flowers and trees
become. Deep within the soil grow.
Essence of red roses in summer’s breeze.
Yet inward, wisdom to the rich river
goes, nourished by the inland sea’s fresh flow.
Then the receiver becomes the giver.
The price of wisdom is so high because
paradise is a garden returned to
healed, where only mercy and nature’s laws
inform the open heart. Red rose renew.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
Posted June 10, 2014