- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Literary Hook: A poem for the summer season: ‘Wisdom’s Wild Fruition’
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Here is a poem celebrating the summer season, now on its way to fruition.
Wisdom’s Wild Fruition
Because the price of wisdom is so high,
like trumpet vines in wild fruition,
wisdom tangles and spirals to the sky
and cannot be controlled. Come, completion
of roots, bulbs, and seeds. Flowers and trees
become. Deep within the soil grow.
Essence of red roses in summer’s breeze.
Yet inward, wisdom to the rich river
goes, nourished by the inland sea’s fresh flow.
Then the receiver becomes the giver.
The price of wisdom is so high because
paradise is a garden returned to
healed, where only mercy and nature’s laws
inform the open heart. Red rose renew.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
Posted June 10, 2014