- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Father’s Day celebration, camp-out at Angelic Organics June 15-16
Online Staff Report
CALEDONIA, Ill. — Although Father’s Day was not signed into law until 1972, it has been celebrated since 1910, when Sonora Smart Todd instigated the holiday to celebrate her own father, William Jackson Smart, a Civil War veteran and farmer who raised six children on his own. What better way to honor this heritage and celebrate Father’s Day than to spend some quality time with your dad on a beautiful and unique farm setting?
Angelic Organics Learning Center offers a unique opportunity to camp out on a real, working farm for Father’s Day weekend June 15-16 at the farm at 1547 Rockton Road, Caledonia, Ill., just north of Rockford.
Angelic Organics, featured in the critically acclaimed documentary, The Real Dirt on Farmer John, is no ordinary farm. With its Technicolor farm buildings, chickens that lay blue eggs, shaggy Scottish Highland cows roaming the pasture, fields of organic vegetables, and a collection of rare and vintage farm equipment, Dad will not forget the memories made on this farm!
You bring the tent and sleeping bags, your farm clothes, and your dad; Angelic Organics Learning Center will supply the fun family games, goats to befriend, campfire to roast your s’mores on, and fresh farm eggs for breakfast.
To register, visit Angelic Organics Learning Center’s website at www.learngrowconnect.org.
Posted June 11, 2014