- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Have there ever been bigger public lies than “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period”? Or, “If you like your health care plan, you’ll be able to keep your health care plan, period”?
Another big lie from the political left is “trickle-down economics” hurts our country’s economy. Every time it’s been tried, it works to the benefit of our citizenry, from Calvin Coolidge, to John Kennedy, to Ronald Reagan, to Newt Gingrich, and to George W. Bush.
Clinton too often gets credit for the upturn in our economy when it was really Gingrich who forced Clinton for political purposes to sign the tax cut. George W. gets criticized that his tax cut too much favored the rich, when the top rate was decreased 12 percent while the bottom rate was lessened by 33 percent. Also, this cut increased the child tax credit 100 percent, which certainly helps families.
This “trickle down” as hurting our economy is a good example of the big lie — if it’s repeated often enough, it’s accepted as truth. Does “climate change” also fit into this category?
Michael A. Smith
From the June 11-17, 2014, issue