- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Have there ever been bigger public lies than “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period”? Or, “If you like your health care plan, you’ll be able to keep your health care plan, period”?
Another big lie from the political left is “trickle-down economics” hurts our country’s economy. Every time it’s been tried, it works to the benefit of our citizenry, from Calvin Coolidge, to John Kennedy, to Ronald Reagan, to Newt Gingrich, and to George W. Bush.
Clinton too often gets credit for the upturn in our economy when it was really Gingrich who forced Clinton for political purposes to sign the tax cut. George W. gets criticized that his tax cut too much favored the rich, when the top rate was decreased 12 percent while the bottom rate was lessened by 33 percent. Also, this cut increased the child tax credit 100 percent, which certainly helps families.
This “trickle down” as hurting our economy is a good example of the big lie — if it’s repeated often enough, it’s accepted as truth. Does “climate change” also fit into this category?
Michael A. Smith
From the June 11-17, 2014, issue