Rockford Historical Society will present “A Greenwood Cemetery Walk” from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, June 14, at Greenwood Cemetery, 1011 Auburn St., Rockford. Admission is free.
Learn about Rockford’s history from those who lived it — through interpreters. Fred C. Olson Funeral Home will have Mrs. Olson’s famous funeral cakes (made by Mary’s Market) available for purchase. Self-guided walking tour pamphlets will also be available. Free bottled water is provided.
Greenwood Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Rockford. It began in 1844 as a site along Kent Creek, located on the land now occupied by Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum’s Railroad Garden and the railroad yards. Mrs. Richard Montague was the first person interred in the new cemetery. In May 1852, the cemetery trustees bought a 33-acre tract on the corner of North Main and Auburn. David Alling was hired to move 175 bodies. The cemetery then grew to its current size of more than 100 acres.
From the June 11-17, 2014, issue