- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
UPDATE: Victim in tow truck incident identified
UPDATE: Scott Doolan has been identified as the 54-year-old victim. The Winnebago County Coroner’s Office has ruled “preliminary” cause of death to be “pelvic injuries” with a “contributing cause of death of coronary artery disease and emphysema.” Police are not releasing details on the tow-truck driver or the towing company, as an investigation is ongoing.
Online Staff Report
A 54-year-old Rockford man is dead after attempting to confront a tow truck driver who says he was towing a vehicle from a parking lot in the 3300 block of North Main Street near Whiskey’s Roadhouse. The incident occurred around 11:10 p.m., Thursday, June 12.
According to Rockford police, the driver of the tow truck said he removed a vehicle from a parking lot for parking in an area posted with a no parking warning sign. After hooking the vehicle to his tow-truck and beginning to drive away, the 54-year-old man allegedly confronted and assaulted the tow-truck driver.
Police say it is unclear whether the man was run over by the tow truck or the vehicle being towed. Authorities confirmed the tow-truck driver contacted police immediately after the incident.
The 54-year-old man died shortly after being transported to a local hospital.
Posted June 13, 2014