- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
UPDATE: Victim in tow truck incident identified
UPDATE: Scott Doolan has been identified as the 54-year-old victim. The Winnebago County Coroner’s Office has ruled “preliminary” cause of death to be “pelvic injuries” with a “contributing cause of death of coronary artery disease and emphysema.” Police are not releasing details on the tow-truck driver or the towing company, as an investigation is ongoing.
Online Staff Report
A 54-year-old Rockford man is dead after attempting to confront a tow truck driver who says he was towing a vehicle from a parking lot in the 3300 block of North Main Street near Whiskey’s Roadhouse. The incident occurred around 11:10 p.m., Thursday, June 12.
According to Rockford police, the driver of the tow truck said he removed a vehicle from a parking lot for parking in an area posted with a no parking warning sign. After hooking the vehicle to his tow-truck and beginning to drive away, the 54-year-old man allegedly confronted and assaulted the tow-truck driver.
Police say it is unclear whether the man was run over by the tow truck or the vehicle being towed. Authorities confirmed the tow-truck driver contacted police immediately after the incident.
The 54-year-old man died shortly after being transported to a local hospital.
Posted June 13, 2014