- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
Famous Fossil Vineyard & Winery Tour June 21
Online Staff Report
Small vineyards tucked away in the rolling hills of northern Illinois. Sun-dappled clusters of red and white grapes hidden among the leaves. A bluebird sings atop a trellis post. These are some of the sights and sounds you’ll hear on the 2014 Famous Fossil Vineyard & Winery Tour Saturday, June 21.
“The vineyard is where wine begins,” said Ken Rosmann, winemaker at Famous Fossil Vineyard & Winery.
Featured vineyards on the tour are Famous Fossil Vineyard, 395 W. Cedarville Road, Freeport, Ill.; Immaculata Vineyard, 15332 Sharp Road, Rockton, Ill.; Steffenhagan Vineyard, 13710 Baker Road, Durand, Ill.; and Lily Creek Vineyard, 3315 W. Lily Creek Road, Freeport, Ill. The driving tour is from 1 to 5 p.m. The public is welcome, and there is no charge for the driving tour.
At Famous Fossil, there will be wagon tours through the vineyard, burgers and brats on the grill, and tasting of wines made from the grapes of the featured vineyards. The winery is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
More than 2,000 grape vines were planted at Famous Fossil in 2004. The tasting room and outdoor seating overlook the vineyards, which have 12 different varieties of red and white grapes.
Famous Fossil Winery processes more than 25 tons of Illinois grapes each year for its red and white wines. Famous Fossil Winery is open every day from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
For more about Famous Fossil Winery, call (815) 563-4665 or visit www.famousfossilwinery.com.
Posted June 18, 2014