- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
Rockford’s Veterans Memorial Hall receives $251,900 state grant
Rockford’s Veterans Memorial Hall has been awarded a grant of $251,900 to create and install exhibit cabinetry, repair a Civil War statue and prepare the site for outdoor monument placement. Total cost of the project is $293,400.
The grant is one of a number of grants announced June 13 by Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D). The grants were awarded to 47 Illinois museums that attract 16.5 million visitors annually. The museums, cumulatively, will receive $20 million in state capital investments to improve their facilities and develop new exhibits.
“Museums play a vital role in telling us about our world and who we are, where we’ve been, and where we’re going,” Quinn said. “These investments will help museums attract even more visitors, boost tourism, create hundreds of jobs and help preserve our history for generations to come.”
The projects are part of the Illinois Public Museum Capital Grants Program, administered by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (DNR).The program was open to any museum operated by local governments or located on municipally-owned land.
The maximum grant award was $750,000, and matching funds were required, in many cases, based on the museum attendance levels from the previous year.
Two years ago, the Illinois Public Museum Capital Grants Program awarded $15 million to 49 museums for projects ranging from expanded facilities to exhibits and infrastructure improvements.
Veterans Memorial Hall is at 211 N. Main St., downtown Rockford. Call (815) 969-1999 or visit www.veteransmemorialhall.com for more details.
From the June 18-24, 2014, issue