- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Rockford’s Veterans Memorial Hall receives $251,900 state grant
Rockford’s Veterans Memorial Hall has been awarded a grant of $251,900 to create and install exhibit cabinetry, repair a Civil War statue and prepare the site for outdoor monument placement. Total cost of the project is $293,400.
The grant is one of a number of grants announced June 13 by Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D). The grants were awarded to 47 Illinois museums that attract 16.5 million visitors annually. The museums, cumulatively, will receive $20 million in state capital investments to improve their facilities and develop new exhibits.
“Museums play a vital role in telling us about our world and who we are, where we’ve been, and where we’re going,” Quinn said. “These investments will help museums attract even more visitors, boost tourism, create hundreds of jobs and help preserve our history for generations to come.”
The projects are part of the Illinois Public Museum Capital Grants Program, administered by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (DNR).The program was open to any museum operated by local governments or located on municipally-owned land.
The maximum grant award was $750,000, and matching funds were required, in many cases, based on the museum attendance levels from the previous year.
Two years ago, the Illinois Public Museum Capital Grants Program awarded $15 million to 49 museums for projects ranging from expanded facilities to exhibits and infrastructure improvements.
Veterans Memorial Hall is at 211 N. Main St., downtown Rockford. Call (815) 969-1999 or visit www.veteransmemorialhall.com for more details.
From the June 18-24, 2014, issue