- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: Catching up with John ‘Brizz’ Brizzolara of 96.7 The Eagle
U of I Extension’s annual Openfields Farm Tour set for June 21
Looking for a great way to celebrate the summer solstice? Grab your family and spend the day visiting the region’s most scenic farms, for free! University of Illinois Extension’s Sixth Annual Openfields Farm Tour is scheduled for noon to 4 p.m., Saturday, June 21, and will feature farms throughout Boone, McHenry, Winnebago and Stephenson counties. Visitors will have the chance to view rows of young vegetables in diverse market gardens, feed and interact with farm animals both large and small, and learn how fresh meat, milk, fruits and vegetables get from area farm fields to your table, straight from the source — your local farmers!
Don’t miss out on this once-yearly opportunity to observe life on a farm, ask the farm-related questions you’ve always wondered about, and spend time with your local farmers. Tourists may visit as few or as many farms as they wish; there is no cost to attend.
Participating farms include the following:
• Chestnut Cliff Farm, 2583 U.S. 20, Freeport, Ill.;
• Freedom Organix, 8406 Maxon Road, Harvard Ill.;
• Harrison Market Gardens, 9024 Harrison Road, Winnebago Ill.;
• Hazzard Free Farm, 5111 Ahrens Road, Pecatonica, Ill.;
• Open Range Products, 14081 Berglund Road, Pecatonica, Ill.;
• Pecatonica High School FFA Farm & Garden, 1300 Main St., Pecatonica, Ill.; and
• Trogg’s Hollow, 11577 Poplar Grove Road, Poplar Grove, Ill.
Visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw frequently, as new farms will continue to be added. Also at the website, find an updated list of participating farms, answers to Frequently Asked Questions, and a driving map for this self-guided tour. Or, call (815) 986-4357 for more information.
From the June 18-24, 2014, issue