Discovery Center seeks to set Zumba record
Discovery Center and the Winnebago County Health Department’s “We Choose Health Initiative” are hosting a free, fun-filled health event Saturday, June 28, for participants of all ages called “Let’s Move, We Choose Healthy Bodies.” The event will be at Discovery Center, 711 N. Main St., Rockford, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Zumba begins promptly at 11 a.m., and will be headed by Zumba instructor Amanda Mehl.
“The Guinness World Records accepted Rockford’s application, so we are excited to try to set a record this year while educating the residents about the importance of staying physically active,” said Winnebago County Health Department’s We Choose Health Coordinator, Zalihta Pegeese. “Participants will need to check in by 11 a.m. to be in the official count.”
Discovery Center will also host the opening of its new Body Shop Gallery.
Other participants include the following:
• Rockford Health Systems dietitians will be on hand to discuss healthy eating and have interactive activities at their station.
• Maximum Performance will conduct an obstacle course with various physical activities. Maximum Performance has a Kids’ Fit Camp that focuses on nutrition and team building, making exercise fun.
• Winnebago County Health Department will have Healthy Equity Officer Kyle Auman facilitate groups on CATCH training. CATCH is part of Coordinated School Health Initiative that through physical activity, proper nutrition and teaching our children how to be healthy, we can reverse obesity trends, but only through a long-term and coordinated approach that involves changing the environment in which our kids live.
• Food 4 Fuel was founded by Jim Mcllroy. It is the fast-food source for healthy choices prepared by a personal team of chefs at Singapore Grill on Riverside Boulevard.
• Peppy Up was founded by Patty Nelligan from the Northern Illinois Diabetes Coalition. Peppy Up is a program and a book that educates and encourages children to be healthy. Peppy Up has created unique characters and a song to show how children can become stronger, faster and smarter. Patty will be there with the CAPA students who were instrumental in creating the Peppy Up song and character.
• Great Harvest will have samples of their nutritious breads for families to taste.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. General admission is $8 adults, $8 children (ages 2 to 17) and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger. For more information, call (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
From the June 25-July 1, 2014, issue