- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Gymnastic Academy of Rockford athletes win national titles
Online Staff Report
Fourteen athletes from the Gymnastics Academy of Rockford (GAR) came home national champions this week, after competing at the 2014 U. S. T. A. National Championships in Louisville, Ky., June 17-21.
Individually, GAR athletes brought home a total of 150 top awards, including 90 finishes in the Top 10.
Following is a list of members of the tumbling and trampoline teams who won individual national titles:
Spencer Woll, Asa Taylor, Kaitya Timmer, Danny Smith (two first-place finishes), Grace Grant (two first-place finishes), Lynnelle Johnson-Danie, Logan Lupeamanu (two first-place finishes), Easton Fisher, Trinity Riley, Lily Prabhaker, Connor Held (three first-place finishes), Aiden Harris, Grant Heckel-Spenc, Taylor Beale, Madisyn Dahm, Jesse Jones (two first-place finishes), Karlie Anderson, Kaedyn Bevill and Kaleen Kelly.
The academy also brought home several 2014 team awards. First-place team awards went to teams competing in: Intermediate Boys Trampoline, Novice Girls Tumbling, Novice Boys Tumbling, Novice Boys Trampoline, Novice Boys Double Mini, Beginning Boys Double Mini, Novice Girls Trampoline, Sub-Advanced Girls Tumbling, and Intermediate Girls Trampoline.
Second-place team finishers were: Beginner Girls Trampoline, Advanced Boys Synchronized Trampoline, Novice Girls Double Mini and Boys Sub Novice Tumbling. Teams won third-place honors for Intermediate Girls Tumbling and Boys Advanced Trampoline.
The academy also received a first-place Top Team award for Double Mini and a second-place Top Team award for Trampoline.