- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Chicago Federal Reserve economist to share insight on turning manufacturing-based cities around
Online Staff Report
Transform Rockford and the Rockford Chamber of Commerce are co-hosting a special session to learn from a top economist with the Chicago Federal Reserve on their Industrial Cities Initiative (ICI). The event will be hosted at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at 6 p.m., Thursday, June 26. The event is open to the public at no charge.
The loss of manufacturing jobs has shaped the Midwest urban landscape for more than a half-century. However, just as most cities have lost manufacturing jobs to a greater or lesser degree, most are working — with more or less success — to offer a higher quality of life to their residents while striving to make these communities more resilient to social and economic changes.
“We did this to help the residents of these Midwestern cities better understand the approaches that contributed to their rebound,” said Susan Longworth, a member of the Bank’s division of Community Development and Policy Studies (CDPS) and editor of a book, Industrial Cities Initiative, that contains the profiles. “These profiles can also serve as a springboard for discussion by community leaders in other cities to help them understand what approaches are working in other places confronted with similar circumstances.”
Longworth, who is a senior business economist for the Chicago Fed, will present their research and engage in a dialogue with attendees.
Learn more at transformrockford.org or rockfordchamber.com.
Posted June 26, 2014