- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
McDonald’s to offer low-fat yogurt side in kids’ meals
Online Staff Report
McDonald’s USA is offering guests in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin new reasons to feel good about the fun and the food at McDonald’s with the addition of a new yogurt side option for kids.
Parents and kids can look forward to an additional side option for Happy Meals and Mighty Kids Meals starting July 4: Go-GURT Low-Fat Strawberry Yogurt. This Go-GURT Low-Fat Strawberry Yogurt is made exclusively for McDonald’s, contains 50 calories, has 25 percent less sugar than the leading kid’s low-fat yogurt and is made with natural flavor. Guests now have more options for sides in kids’ meals — they can choose either Go-GURT Low-Fat Strawberry Yogurt or apple slices, or choose both together as their sides in place of a kid-size fry.
“McDonald’s is continuing to make an impact in the nutrition area,” said Gina Neill, local Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. “McDonald’s listened to their customers, and with the new Go-GURT Low-Fat Strawberry Yogurt, has added more variety and wholesome options for kids to enjoy in their Happy Meals. This is an option both parents and kids can get excited about.”
These new additions are the latest examples of McDonald’s USA’s ongoing dedication to children’s nutrition and well-being as part of its “Commitments to Offer Improved Nutrition Choices.”
Go-GURT Low-Fat Strawberry Yogurt, which delivers about one quarter cup of low-fat dairy and is a good source of calcium and vitamin D, provides another balanced choice for kids, along with apple slices, 1 percent low-fat white milk, fat-free chocolate milk and 100 percent apple juice beverage options.
This latest offering supports McDonald’s partnership with the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, an organization founded by the American Heart Association and Clinton Foundation to reduce the prevalence of childhood obesity and empower kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits. The Alliance and McDonald’s are working together to increase customers’ access to fruit, vegetables and low-fat dairy, and help families and children make informed choices in keeping with healthy, balanced lifestyles.
In March 2012, McDonald’s started automatically including apple slices and a kid-size fry in every Happy Meal and Mighty Kids Meal. Since then, more than 1.1 billion bags of apple slices have been served. Beginning later this year, McDonald’s USA will also only promote milk, juice or water as a beverage choice with Happy Meals and Mighty Kids Meals on menu boards and in-restaurant and external advertising and communications.
Posted June 27, 2014