- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Police: Security camera captured Terence Doddy killing woman at I-39 rest stop
UPDATE: Alleged murderer Terence Doddy is now in custody after a high-speed chase north of Rockford into Beloit, Wis., Friday, July 4. Police say he was driving the car he stole from 44-year-old Tonya Bargman, of Monticello, Ill., the woman he allegedly killed at a rest stop near Paw Paw Tuesday. Doddy is also wanted in the slaying of 37-year-old Todd Hansmeier a day earlier.
While details remain unclear, there was a crash as a result of the chase. At least one person was injured.
As of this report, Doddy is in the Rock County Jail.
UPDATE: The victim killed at the Willow Creek rest area Tuesday, July 1, has been identified as 44-year-old Tonya D. Bargman, of Monticello, Ill. Surveillance video from the rest area showed Bargman being attacked near a washroom by a man believed to be 36-year-old Terence Doddy. Bargman was found unresponsive by an attendant. Charges in her death are pending.
By Jim Hagerty
A surveillance camera captured a man fitting the description of fugitive Terence Doddy attack a woman near an I-39 rest area bathroom Tuesday, July 1, police said Wednesday.
Doddy is the 36-year-old Rockford man wanted in the slaying of 37-year old Todd Hansmeier. Police say after beating Hansmeier to death and attempting to burn his body inside an office building Monday morning, Doddy fled in Hansmeier’s car.
Tuesday night, the body of a female was found at the Willow Creek rest area on I-39 near Paw Paw, Ill. That’s where Doddy allegedly attacked the woman and stole her car, leaving Hansmeier’s Chevy Cruze at the scene.
As of this report, Doddy has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder in Hansmeier’s death, and one count of aggravated domestic battery in another case. Police say charges are pending in the death of the second homicide victim. Doddy is believed to be driving her car, a gray Nissan Altima with the license plate number BARGMN2.
Authorities urge citizens not to approach Doddy and to dial 911 if he’s spotted. Information can also be reported to the Rockford Police Department at (815) 987-5824 or Crime Stoppers at (815) 963-7867.