- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
State Rep. Jefferson steps down
Online Staff Report
State Rep. Chuck Jefferson, D-Rockford, has resigned after serving the 67th District since 2001.
In a July 1 resignation letter to Timothy D. Mapes, chief clerk of the Illinois House of Representatives, Jefferson stated: “Please acknowledge this correspondence as official notice of my resignation from the office of State Representative of the 67th Representative District, effective today.”
Jefferson, 69, a former 10-year member of the Winnebago County Board, was in his fifth term as state representative. His replacement will be selected by Winnebago County Democratic Central Committee members Chairman Charles Laskonis, Treasurer Bill Crowley and Winnebago County Board member L.C. Wilson.
Jefferson first assumed the 67th District seat after being appointed to replace Doug Scott after Scott was elected Rockford mayor in 2001.
The Rock River Times will update this story as more details become available.
Posted July 2, 2014