- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
Meet John Doe: Thank you, Rockford Fourth of July Committee!
By Paul Gorski
Thank you, Rockford Fourth of July and Festival of Lights Committee, for a great fireworks show this past weekend. Thank you also to the show sponsors; see the list of sponsors at http://rockfordfireandice.com/sponsors.
I walked in the parade and stayed to watch the fireworks with my wife and friends. I do not know what it was about this year, but I felt a certain awe recognizing that all the people watching the fireworks were there for a single purpose — to celebrate this holiday and be entertained. There were no team rivalries, no competitions, just everyone looking skyward, focused on a single event.
I really enjoyed the moment, the focus. Perhaps it is because I feel our community is so divided on so many issues. There were crowds, but it did not feel crowded. There was noise, but it was not loud. Maybe I was just in a receptive mood. Or maybe we can learn a lesson. If we could all get on board with a single plan for building the community, we could experience this awe more often.
Thank you again to the sponsors, organizers and to all who came down for the parade and fireworks show. It was a well-needed inspirational moment.
Paul Gorski (email@example.com) is Cherry Valley Township resident who also authors the Tech-Friendly column seen in this newspaper.
Posted July 9, 2014