- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Meet John Doe: Thank you, Rockford Fourth of July Committee!
By Paul Gorski
Thank you, Rockford Fourth of July and Festival of Lights Committee, for a great fireworks show this past weekend. Thank you also to the show sponsors; see the list of sponsors at http://rockfordfireandice.com/sponsors.
I walked in the parade and stayed to watch the fireworks with my wife and friends. I do not know what it was about this year, but I felt a certain awe recognizing that all the people watching the fireworks were there for a single purpose — to celebrate this holiday and be entertained. There were no team rivalries, no competitions, just everyone looking skyward, focused on a single event.
I really enjoyed the moment, the focus. Perhaps it is because I feel our community is so divided on so many issues. There were crowds, but it did not feel crowded. There was noise, but it was not loud. Maybe I was just in a receptive mood. Or maybe we can learn a lesson. If we could all get on board with a single plan for building the community, we could experience this awe more often.
Thank you again to the sponsors, organizers and to all who came down for the parade and fireworks show. It was a well-needed inspirational moment.
Paul Gorski (email@example.com) is Cherry Valley Township resident who also authors the Tech-Friendly column seen in this newspaper.
Posted July 9, 2014