- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Oregon Trail Days offers kids Mini Tipi Decorating Contest, July 15 deadline
Online Staff Report
OREGON, Ill. — Do you have a child interested in art or Native American culture? The Oregon Trail Days Festival is inviting children ages 4-12 to participate in the annual Mini Tipi Decorating Contest. Tipis may be picked up at the Oregon Library, and there is no cost to participate, just your cost in decorating supplies.
Each child may decorate one Tipi using crayons, paints, markers, beads, buttons, string or feathers. Do not put Tipis on a base or use any food items.
Decorated Tipis may be dropped off at the Oregon Public Library no later than July 15.
All Tipis will be on display at the Oregon Trail Days Festival at Lowden State Park Saturday and Sunday, July 19-20.
First-, second- and third-place prizes will be awarded for each age group: 4-6, 7-10 and 11-12. Prizes will be announced at 2 p.m., Sunday, July 20, at the Native American Dance Circle at Lowden State Park the day of the festival. Participants who are not available can pick their prize up at the Oregon Library the following week.
For more about Oregon Trail Days, visit www.oregontraildays.org.
Posted July 10, 2014