- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Historic planes to visit Rockford Airport July 16-18
Online Staff Report
Participating in the Collings Foundation’s Wings of Freedom Tour, the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress “Nine O Nine” World War II Heavy Bomber, Consolidated B-24 Liberator “Witchcraft” World War II Heavy Bomber and P-51 Mustang fighter will fly into Chicago/Rockford International Airport in Rockford for a visit from July 16 to July 18.
This event is a rare opportunity to visit, explore and learn more about these unique and rare treasures of aviation history. The B-17 is one of only eight in flying condition in the United States, and the B-24 and Full Dual Control P-51C Mustang are the sole remaining examples of their type flying in the world.
Visitors are invited to explore the aircraft inside and out — $12 for adults and $6 for children younger than 12 is requested for access to up-close viewing and tours through the inside of the aircraft. World War II veterans can tour through the aircraft at no cost. Discounted rates are offered for school groups.
Visitors may also experience the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to actually take a 30-minute flight aboard these rare aircraft. Flights on either the B-17 or B-24 are $450 per person. Get some “stick time” in the world’s greatest fighter. P-51 flights are $2,200 for a half hour and $3,200 for a full hour.
For reservations and information about flight experiences, call 800-568-8924.
Posted July 16, 2014