- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Police investigate shooting on Martha Avenue, victim’s condition serious but stable
Online Staff Report
Rockford police are investigating a shooting that occurred around 11:29 p.m., Tuesday, July 15, at a residence in the 2100 block of Martha Avenue.
According to police, when officers arrived on scene, they found a 34-year-old Rockford man lying on the floor in a back bedroom with a gunshot wound to his lower back.
Officers spoke with both the victim and one female witness. The victim and witness said they previously had dated.
The victim and witness both told police the suspect, the witness’s current boyfriend, and the victim had an argument. When the argument was over, the victim walked toward the front door to leave, and the suspect shot him in the back one time.
The suspect fled the scene prior to police arrival.
Rockford Fire Department paramedics transported the victim to an area hospital. Medical staff described the victim’s condition as serious, but stable.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information about the incident should contact the Rockford Police Shift Commander at (815) 987-5824 or Crime Stoppers at (815) 963-STOP (7867).
Posted July 16, 2014