- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Police investigate shooting on Martha Avenue, victim’s condition serious but stable
Online Staff Report
Rockford police are investigating a shooting that occurred around 11:29 p.m., Tuesday, July 15, at a residence in the 2100 block of Martha Avenue.
According to police, when officers arrived on scene, they found a 34-year-old Rockford man lying on the floor in a back bedroom with a gunshot wound to his lower back.
Officers spoke with both the victim and one female witness. The victim and witness said they previously had dated.
The victim and witness both told police the suspect, the witness’s current boyfriend, and the victim had an argument. When the argument was over, the victim walked toward the front door to leave, and the suspect shot him in the back one time.
The suspect fled the scene prior to police arrival.
Rockford Fire Department paramedics transported the victim to an area hospital. Medical staff described the victim’s condition as serious, but stable.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information about the incident should contact the Rockford Police Shift Commander at (815) 987-5824 or Crime Stoppers at (815) 963-STOP (7867).
Posted July 16, 2014