- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
Third Annual PRIDE event July 19-20
Rockford-area lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) people and their straight allies will celebrate their third annual PRIDE the weekend of July 19-20 with a Saturday night drag show and celebration at The Office, 513 E. State St. Sunday will include a family-friendly, alcohol-free picnic supporting passage of the federal Employment Nondiscrimination Act (ENDA), 1-8 p.m. at Rockford’s Unitarian Universalist Church, 4848 Turner St. We’ll have a DJ, games, food for purchase and other vendors. Bring your picnic blankets and join us.
While Illinois’ nondiscrimination law protects LGBT people, they can be discriminated against in employment in 29 states. Passage of ENDA will guarantee that sexual orientation or gender identity will no longer be cause for people to lose their jobs.
Rockford has LGBT-supportive churches, high school gay-straight alliances, an RVC student group, Velocity RVC, and a PFLAG chapter, but it lacks a sense of LGBT identity and cohesion. We hope these PRIDE events will build community and show Rockford that we are present in every facet of our diverse city. Other sponsors of the event include Velocity RVC and AARP.
Rockford Area PRIDE Picnic
From the July 16-22, 2014, issue