- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
Unveiling of original scale model of World War II Memorial Aug. 16
A “Day of Honor & Unveiling of the Original Scale Model of the National World War II Memorial” will begin at 1 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 16, at Veterans Memorial Hall, 211 N. Main St., Rockford.
At this special reception, the original scale model of the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C., will be unveiled during a program honoring veterans and their families.
The exhibit and event are presented by Pillars of Honor, Inc., an Illinois nonprofit organization dedicated to honoring World War II veterans unable to travel to Washington, D.C., to see their memorial in person. Pillars of Honor brings the memorial to them. Learn more at www.pillarsofhonor.org.
This is the original scale model that was used by then-U.S. Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan., to present the memorial design to Congress. It was designed by Friedrich St. Florian from Providence, R.I. Pillars of Honor has this model on loan for a limited time before it has to be returned and placed in the Smithsonian.
Our World War II veterans now number fewer than 3 million. The average age of these veterans is 90 years old, and we are losing these valuable souls at an alarming rate of 1,200 each day. These veterans are missing out on the opportunity to get firsthand knowledge about their memorial and, more importantly, receive recognition for their contribution to our nation. This Day of Honor experience gives veterans the opportunity to learn about their memorial, talk with other veterans and reflect upon the sacrifices they and others made during one of the most trying times in the history of the United States.
Register your World War II veteran’s attendance no later than Aug. 9 to be included in the souvenir program book. Register at Pillars of Honor, Inc., 770 Lee St., Suite 103, Des Plaines, IL 60016, or call (847) 954-0520 for more information. Call Veterans Memorial Hall at (815) 969-1999 or visit www.veteransmemorialhall.com.
From the July 16-22, 2014, issue