- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
- Susan Johnson: Saying goodbye to a career
- Super Bowl XLIX prediction: Seahawks will top Patriots
- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
11th Annual Pecatonica River Clean-Up set for July 27
• Event is held in conjunction with River Warrior Challenge at Rock Hollow Hunt Club
FREEPORT, Ill. — The 11th Annual Pecatonica River Clean-Up will be Sunday, July 27, sponsored by the United Sportsmen’s Youth Foundation. River cleanup will begin at 9 a.m. and the volunteer picnic will be held at 2 p.m. This will be in conjunction with the River Warrior Challenge, held July 25-27 at Rock Hollow Hunt Club, 1931 Illinois 75, Freeport, Ill. Proceeds will benefit the local river habitat.
Event schedule is as follows:
Friday, July 25 — 2K Wilderness Walk at 9 a.m. is a perfect event for kids or seniors. Take a relaxing walk and teach your kids about conservation on the river. The 6 p.m. 2K Wilderness Walk is perfect for someone who wants a leisurely stroll along the river with a cocktail. Cost is a $10 donation. Kids will receive a free T-shirt. 3-Gun Challenge at 2 p.m. At 8 p.m., bands begin to play ($10 cover).
Saturday, July 26 — 4K River Run at 8 a.m. will challenge your legs, lungs and body. Warriors may run as a team; sign up four to six people (at least two ladies) for $400 the day of the race. For ages 17 and older. To sign individually for the 4K River Race, the fee is $125 on the day of the race. Make checks payable to USYF.
The Sand Volleyball Tournament will be held at 11 a.m. The Kayak/Canoe Race will be at 2 p.m. At 9 p.m., the Hot Outfit/Bikini Contest will be held. After a full day of activities outside, head up to the clubhouse for the after party with a chance to win in the homemade Hot Outfit and Bikini Contest with Men’s and Ladies’ divisions. See who will be crowned the River King and Queen. Also at 9 p.m., the bands will begin to play ($10 cover charge).
Sunday, July 27 — United Sportsmen’s Youth Foundation River Clean-Up begins at 9 a.m. At 2 p.m., there will be a volunteer picnic.
From the July 23-29, 2014, issue