- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
11th Annual Pecatonica River Clean-Up set for July 27
• Event is held in conjunction with River Warrior Challenge at Rock Hollow Hunt Club
FREEPORT, Ill. — The 11th Annual Pecatonica River Clean-Up will be Sunday, July 27, sponsored by the United Sportsmen’s Youth Foundation. River cleanup will begin at 9 a.m. and the volunteer picnic will be held at 2 p.m. This will be in conjunction with the River Warrior Challenge, held July 25-27 at Rock Hollow Hunt Club, 1931 Illinois 75, Freeport, Ill. Proceeds will benefit the local river habitat.
Event schedule is as follows:
Friday, July 25 — 2K Wilderness Walk at 9 a.m. is a perfect event for kids or seniors. Take a relaxing walk and teach your kids about conservation on the river. The 6 p.m. 2K Wilderness Walk is perfect for someone who wants a leisurely stroll along the river with a cocktail. Cost is a $10 donation. Kids will receive a free T-shirt. 3-Gun Challenge at 2 p.m. At 8 p.m., bands begin to play ($10 cover).
Saturday, July 26 — 4K River Run at 8 a.m. will challenge your legs, lungs and body. Warriors may run as a team; sign up four to six people (at least two ladies) for $400 the day of the race. For ages 17 and older. To sign individually for the 4K River Race, the fee is $125 on the day of the race. Make checks payable to USYF.
The Sand Volleyball Tournament will be held at 11 a.m. The Kayak/Canoe Race will be at 2 p.m. At 9 p.m., the Hot Outfit/Bikini Contest will be held. After a full day of activities outside, head up to the clubhouse for the after party with a chance to win in the homemade Hot Outfit and Bikini Contest with Men’s and Ladies’ divisions. See who will be crowned the River King and Queen. Also at 9 p.m., the bands will begin to play ($10 cover charge).
Sunday, July 27 — United Sportsmen’s Youth Foundation River Clean-Up begins at 9 a.m. At 2 p.m., there will be a volunteer picnic.
From the July 23-29, 2014, issue