- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
11th Annual Pecatonica River Clean-Up set for July 27
• Event is held in conjunction with River Warrior Challenge at Rock Hollow Hunt Club
FREEPORT, Ill. — The 11th Annual Pecatonica River Clean-Up will be Sunday, July 27, sponsored by the United Sportsmen’s Youth Foundation. River cleanup will begin at 9 a.m. and the volunteer picnic will be held at 2 p.m. This will be in conjunction with the River Warrior Challenge, held July 25-27 at Rock Hollow Hunt Club, 1931 Illinois 75, Freeport, Ill. Proceeds will benefit the local river habitat.
Event schedule is as follows:
Friday, July 25 — 2K Wilderness Walk at 9 a.m. is a perfect event for kids or seniors. Take a relaxing walk and teach your kids about conservation on the river. The 6 p.m. 2K Wilderness Walk is perfect for someone who wants a leisurely stroll along the river with a cocktail. Cost is a $10 donation. Kids will receive a free T-shirt. 3-Gun Challenge at 2 p.m. At 8 p.m., bands begin to play ($10 cover).
Saturday, July 26 — 4K River Run at 8 a.m. will challenge your legs, lungs and body. Warriors may run as a team; sign up four to six people (at least two ladies) for $400 the day of the race. For ages 17 and older. To sign individually for the 4K River Race, the fee is $125 on the day of the race. Make checks payable to USYF.
The Sand Volleyball Tournament will be held at 11 a.m. The Kayak/Canoe Race will be at 2 p.m. At 9 p.m., the Hot Outfit/Bikini Contest will be held. After a full day of activities outside, head up to the clubhouse for the after party with a chance to win in the homemade Hot Outfit and Bikini Contest with Men’s and Ladies’ divisions. See who will be crowned the River King and Queen. Also at 9 p.m., the bands will begin to play ($10 cover charge).
Sunday, July 27 — United Sportsmen’s Youth Foundation River Clean-Up begins at 9 a.m. At 2 p.m., there will be a volunteer picnic.
From the July 23-29, 2014, issue