- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Children’s Home + Aid celebrates 75 years with July 31 open house
Children’s Home + Aid will celebrate its 75th anniversary with an open house from 1 to 5 p.m., Thursday, July 31. The event will be at the Northern Region Administrative Office, 910 Second Ave., Rockford.
Regional Vice President Eileen Liezert and Regional Advisory Board Chairman Bill Decker will share a brief presentation at 2 p.m.
Tours will be offered of the historic Freeman School building, which serves as office space for more than 100 of the organization’s staff members. Refreshments will be served. Those attending will learn how the organization has transformed over 75 years to meet the needs of children and families throughout the Rockford region.
The first official office for what was then the Illinois Children’s Home and Aid Society opened in Rockford May 15, 1939, in the Forest City National Bank building, 401 W. State St. At that time, the office was composed of two workers — Virginia Speirs and Harold Hoffman — and the regional “superintendent” for northern Illinois was Margaret Noyes. Speirs and Hoffman worked on placing children for adoption and finding boarding homes for children.
Today, Children’s Home + Aid Northern Region is devoted to serving the area’s most challenged communities. Services encompass the needs of the entire family, and include child and family counseling, foster care, intact family services, and MotherHouse Crisis Nursery. Children’s Home + Aid’s comprehensive, quality programs help children and families overcome the obstacles of poverty, abuse, and neglect to achieve healthy family structures and self-sufficiency.
Want to help? Bring a donation of diapers, wipes or school supplies to assist programs.
Children’s Home + Aid is a leading child and family service agency in Illinois. The organization helps children recover their health, their hope and their faith in the people around them. The agency links children to a network of opportunity and care, to extended family, teachers, mentors and the resources of the neighborhood and community.
For more than 130 years, Children’s Home + Aid has gone wherever children and families need them, and work where that work has been proven to be most effective: at home, in the classroom, in the neighborhood, in the course of daily life. With offices across Illinois, the organization serves more than 40,000 children and families in more than 60 counties each year. For more about Children’s Home + Aid, visit childrenshomeandaid.org or contact the Northern Region Administrative Office in Rockford at (815) 962-1043.
From the July 23-29, 2014, issue