- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful expands Recycle Center hours
LOVES PARK, Ill. — Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) will expand the hours at the Rockford Recycle Center, 4665 Hydraulic Road, to be open 3-6 p.m., Tuesdays, starting Aug. 5, in addition to Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon.
“We’re pleased to announce expansion of our service hours to a weekday afternoon, to accommodate recyclers who want to drop off cardboard or other items late on a weekday, and to assist residents not able to make our Saturday hours,” KNIB Executive Director Lori Gummow said. “In the 10 months since we opened the Rockford site, we have increased our exposure and begun accepting more items such as bagged clothing, metals, electronics, holiday lights, automotive or marine batteries, as well as the more common recyclables: plastic bottles, glass food containers, aluminum, tin or steel cans, paper and corrugated cardboard.”
‘Dog Days of Summer’ PAWS Humane Society collection
The first two weeks in August (2, 5, 9, 12) the Recycle Centers will accept donations of new or nearly new pet equipment to be donated to PAWS Humane Society in Rockford. A wish list of food and suitable pet items and cleaning supplies is at both the KNIB website, www.knib.org, and the PAWS website, www.pawshs.org. This event is one of several special collections planned this summer by KNIB. Watch for other special re-use and recycling collection notifications, or contact KNIB to be added to the electronic news e-mail list.
Volunteers staff the two KNIB Recycle Centers year-round. The Roscoe Recycle Center will keep the same hours it has operated for 23 years: 9 a.m. to noon, Saturdays, at 13125 N. Second St., Roscoe, Ill. To volunteer, contact Martha Byrnes via e-mail at Martha@knib.org or call (815) 637-1343. For a list of recyclable items accepted, visit www.knib.org.
From the July 23-29, 2014, issue