- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
- Senators offer insight into population loss
- SCOTUS ruling legalizes gay marriage
- RAMP receives $10,000 grant for youth services
- Obamacare victory shows failure of Scalia’s conservative revolution
- City Market: June 26
- BREAKING: Rauner vetoes state budget
RVC student’s film wins four Prairie State Film Festival awards
The awards and honors continue for Rock Valley College (RVC) Mass Communication student Tom Doherty and his film, The White Room.
July 12, the film won four awards at the Prairie State International Film Festival, including Best Director (Tom Doherty), Best Actress (Laura Chernicky), Best Cinematography (Jayson Phommavongsa) and Best Prairie State Film.
The White Room was also screened July 16 at The Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago. The film was included in the lineup for the world premiere of Streamline, a science fiction, short film thriller directed by Dan Marcus and produced by Falling Awake Productions.
Earlier this year, The White Room was named Best of Festival Winner for the Broadcast Education Association (BEA) Festival of Media Arts in the Two-Year/Small Colleges Category, and was chosen Best of the Best for the entire festival from 1,300 entries. Each year, the chairman of the festival chooses from all the other category winners a project that is considered the best of all the winners and entries. Doherty’s win marked the first time in the history of the festival that a student from a two-year school had won the Best of the Best Award.
The White Room, filmed entirely on the RVC campus, is a powerful, emotional, psychological drama that follows a young man who wakes up trapped and confused in a mysterious room with no recollection as of how he came to be there. The events of the film play out in an unforeseeable direction that will leave a lasting impact on your life.
From the July 23-29, 2014, issue