- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
RVC student’s film wins four Prairie State Film Festival awards
The awards and honors continue for Rock Valley College (RVC) Mass Communication student Tom Doherty and his film, The White Room.
July 12, the film won four awards at the Prairie State International Film Festival, including Best Director (Tom Doherty), Best Actress (Laura Chernicky), Best Cinematography (Jayson Phommavongsa) and Best Prairie State Film.
The White Room was also screened July 16 at The Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago. The film was included in the lineup for the world premiere of Streamline, a science fiction, short film thriller directed by Dan Marcus and produced by Falling Awake Productions.
Earlier this year, The White Room was named Best of Festival Winner for the Broadcast Education Association (BEA) Festival of Media Arts in the Two-Year/Small Colleges Category, and was chosen Best of the Best for the entire festival from 1,300 entries. Each year, the chairman of the festival chooses from all the other category winners a project that is considered the best of all the winners and entries. Doherty’s win marked the first time in the history of the festival that a student from a two-year school had won the Best of the Best Award.
The White Room, filmed entirely on the RVC campus, is a powerful, emotional, psychological drama that follows a young man who wakes up trapped and confused in a mysterious room with no recollection as of how he came to be there. The events of the film play out in an unforeseeable direction that will leave a lasting impact on your life.
From the July 23-29, 2014, issue