- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Town of Beloit kidnapping suspect heads to trial
By Jim Hagerty
The 31-year-old Colorado woman accused of snatching a 4-day-old infant from his crib earlier this year heads to trial Monday, July 28, in Madison, Wisconsin.
Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, is accused of kidnapping Kayden Powell in the early morning hours Thursday, Feb. 6. Federal prosecutors say Smith, the baby’s aunt, took the boy and was on her way to Colorado when she was arrested in West Branch, Iowa Friday, Feb. 7.
Authorities say the baby was found in a plastic crate outside a gas station shortly before Smith was arrested. Smith was in possession of a prosthetic pregnancy belly and baby clothing and intended on telling friends in Colorado she gave birth to Kayden, prosecutors allege.
Meanwhile, Kayden has been reunited with his parents, Brianna Marshall and Bruce Powell.
Smith is Marshall’s half-sister. She faces life in prison if convicted.