- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
- Neighborhood feel key for Rural on Tap
Town of Beloit kidnapping suspect heads to trial
By Jim Hagerty
The 31-year-old Colorado woman accused of snatching a 4-day-old infant from his crib earlier this year heads to trial Monday, July 28, in Madison, Wisconsin.
Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, is accused of kidnapping Kayden Powell in the early morning hours Thursday, Feb. 6. Federal prosecutors say Smith, the baby’s aunt, took the boy and was on her way to Colorado when she was arrested in West Branch, Iowa Friday, Feb. 7.
Authorities say the baby was found in a plastic crate outside a gas station shortly before Smith was arrested. Smith was in possession of a prosthetic pregnancy belly and baby clothing and intended on telling friends in Colorado she gave birth to Kayden, prosecutors allege.
Meanwhile, Kayden has been reunited with his parents, Brianna Marshall and Bruce Powell.
Smith is Marshall’s half-sister. She faces life in prison if convicted.