- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Town of Beloit kidnapping suspect heads to trial
By Jim Hagerty
The 31-year-old Colorado woman accused of snatching a 4-day-old infant from his crib earlier this year heads to trial Monday, July 28, in Madison, Wisconsin.
Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, is accused of kidnapping Kayden Powell in the early morning hours Thursday, Feb. 6. Federal prosecutors say Smith, the baby’s aunt, took the boy and was on her way to Colorado when she was arrested in West Branch, Iowa Friday, Feb. 7.
Authorities say the baby was found in a plastic crate outside a gas station shortly before Smith was arrested. Smith was in possession of a prosthetic pregnancy belly and baby clothing and intended on telling friends in Colorado she gave birth to Kayden, prosecutors allege.
Meanwhile, Kayden has been reunited with his parents, Brianna Marshall and Bruce Powell.
Smith is Marshall’s half-sister. She faces life in prison if convicted.