- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Town of Beloit kidnapping suspect heads to trial
By Jim Hagerty
The 31-year-old Colorado woman accused of snatching a 4-day-old infant from his crib earlier this year heads to trial Monday, July 28, in Madison, Wisconsin.
Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, is accused of kidnapping Kayden Powell in the early morning hours Thursday, Feb. 6. Federal prosecutors say Smith, the baby’s aunt, took the boy and was on her way to Colorado when she was arrested in West Branch, Iowa Friday, Feb. 7.
Authorities say the baby was found in a plastic crate outside a gas station shortly before Smith was arrested. Smith was in possession of a prosthetic pregnancy belly and baby clothing and intended on telling friends in Colorado she gave birth to Kayden, prosecutors allege.
Meanwhile, Kayden has been reunited with his parents, Brianna Marshall and Bruce Powell.
Smith is Marshall’s half-sister. She faces life in prison if convicted.