- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
Town of Beloit kidnapping suspect heads to trial
By Jim Hagerty
The 31-year-old Colorado woman accused of snatching a 4-day-old infant from his crib earlier this year heads to trial Monday, July 28, in Madison, Wisconsin.
Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, is accused of kidnapping Kayden Powell in the early morning hours Thursday, Feb. 6. Federal prosecutors say Smith, the baby’s aunt, took the boy and was on her way to Colorado when she was arrested in West Branch, Iowa Friday, Feb. 7.
Authorities say the baby was found in a plastic crate outside a gas station shortly before Smith was arrested. Smith was in possession of a prosthetic pregnancy belly and baby clothing and intended on telling friends in Colorado she gave birth to Kayden, prosecutors allege.
Meanwhile, Kayden has been reunited with his parents, Brianna Marshall and Bruce Powell.
Smith is Marshall’s half-sister. She faces life in prison if convicted.