- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour coming to Rockford Aug. 2
The heat and smoke are rising as the fourth annual Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour is on the quest to discover competition barbecue’s national champion. Boasting a $500,000 prize purse, 25 local qualifying events, six regional finals and a national championship, held at the Sam’s Club headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., the national tour holds the title as the largest and richest barbecue series ever.
Directed by Pitmaster Michael McDearman, author and owner of Get Fired Up Foods cooking school, the Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour will visit Rockford, 7151 Walton St., from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 2.
Since 2011, the Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour has traveled the United States, region by region, searching for the year’s best in competitive barbecue and awarding winning teams a total of $1.4 million in total prize money. In that time, thousands of Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS) competition teams worked to carefully perfect and present their barbecue, which was assessed by KCBS Certified Barbecue Judges, hoping to earn the title of “National Champion.” More than 700 teams are expected to compete for their shot at fame in the 2014 Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour.
“Barbecue is truly America’s cuisine, from the iconic smoke flavor to the regionally specific tastes, a tournament of this size and magnitude is unparalleled,” said Michael McDearman, series director for the Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour. “This year, we’ve added stops in Maine, Pennsylvania and California to accommodate the growing competitive barbecue population in those regions, and we’ll return to barbecue hotbeds like Memphis, Tenn., Charleston, S.C., and Kansas City.”
The Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour is a tournament-style series in which teams must advance from a local qualifying event to the top tier of their regional event to qualify for the national championship and a shot at the $50,000 grand champion prize.
Win big at the Rockford regional event
Want the experience of grilling like the pros in your own back yard? Now’s your chance! Exclusive to four of the five regional events, inclusive of the Rockford event, Cargill will be hosting a grill giveaway, open to both Sam’s Club members and non-members. Entries for the giveaway will only be accepted onsite, although the winner need not be present to claim the prize. The winner must be 18 years or older.
Posted July 29, 2014