- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Taste of Lena set for Saturday, Aug. 2
LENA, Ill. — The Lena Business and Professional Association will host its Second Annual Taste of Lena event from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 2. This year, the Mediacom Taste of Lena event will be expanded to include many fun events for the whole family.
The Food Village near AJ’s Lena Maid Meats will showcase many area restaurants and food vendors participating in the Taste of Lena. Families are encouraged to stop by and try a taste of their wonderful samplings.
At press time, food vendors and non-profit organizations participating in this event include The Rafters, Sapporo’s Pizzeria, Café 217, AJ’s Lena Maid Meats, Stella’s, Route 20 Bar & Grill, An AR Ali 3, Huron Farm Market, Iron Horse Tap, Hungry Dog Hot Dog Cart, Herm’s Kettle Corn, Manny’s Pizza, Logan’s, Beltline Café, Lena Lion’s Club, American Legion, Lena Boy Scouts, Lena Fast Stop, Bailey’s Edge, He-Brews 11, Oak Ridge Amusements, Route 26 Bar and Grill, R & L Enterprise, Wolf Hollow Golf Course, Lena Sports Association and Sullivan’s Foods.
Also near AJ’s Lena Maid Meats, the Smoking Hot BBQ contest will be held. Pit masters will compete for the tastiest barbecue with baby back ribs, whole chickens and briskets.
Another addition to this year’s Taste of Lena will be the Second Annual Taste of Lena Car Show. Twelve classes of events and three Best of Show Awards will be featured. Classes include Pre-1950s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s+, Stock Truck, Mod Truck, Special Interest, Hot Rods, Stock Cycle, Tractors and Mod Cycle. Many trophies will be awarded. For more about the car show, contact Rhonda or Troy Pokoj at (815) 369-9747 of Checkered Flag Auto Body.
Entertainment will be going on all day with several acts. The headline act will be Nashville recording star Corey Cox, whose first single, “Wake Up Drunk,” is climbing the charts. Cox considers Lena his second home. Nashville artist and bandmate Greg Burroughs will open the show.
For more about how to participate or for sponsorship opportunities, contact Ruby Shulz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Marcia Pax at (815) 369-4522.
Posted July 29, 2014