- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
National Night Out event Aug. 5
The Rock Valley College (RVC) Police Department and Rockford Police Department are teaming up to host a National Night Out event at RVC from 5 to 9 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 5. The event will be in Parking Lot 2 on RVC’s main campus, 3301 N. Mulford Road, with some additional attractions in the Physical Education Center (PEC). National Night Out is an opportunity to promote public and police partnerships, crime prevention and community camaraderie. Some of the highlights at this year’s event will include the following: Self-defense and safety tips; K9 and mobile field force demonstrations; Vehicles on display, including police and military vehicles, fire trucks, and the Rockford Police Command Center; REACT helicopter on campus (7:30-9 p.m.); Photo spot where kids can have a picture taken with or in a squad car; community vendors; games; music; giveaways; and free food.
The event is free and open to anyone in the community. The introduction of National Night Out, “America’s Night Out Against Crime,” in 1984 began an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie.
From the July 30-Aug. 5, 2014, issue