- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
National Night Out event Aug. 5
The Rock Valley College (RVC) Police Department and Rockford Police Department are teaming up to host a National Night Out event at RVC from 5 to 9 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 5. The event will be in Parking Lot 2 on RVC’s main campus, 3301 N. Mulford Road, with some additional attractions in the Physical Education Center (PEC). National Night Out is an opportunity to promote public and police partnerships, crime prevention and community camaraderie. Some of the highlights at this year’s event will include the following: Self-defense and safety tips; K9 and mobile field force demonstrations; Vehicles on display, including police and military vehicles, fire trucks, and the Rockford Police Command Center; REACT helicopter on campus (7:30-9 p.m.); Photo spot where kids can have a picture taken with or in a squad car; community vendors; games; music; giveaways; and free food.
The event is free and open to anyone in the community. The introduction of National Night Out, “America’s Night Out Against Crime,” in 1984 began an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie.
From the July 30-Aug. 5, 2014, issue