- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
National Night Out event Aug. 5
The Rock Valley College (RVC) Police Department and Rockford Police Department are teaming up to host a National Night Out event at RVC from 5 to 9 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 5. The event will be in Parking Lot 2 on RVC’s main campus, 3301 N. Mulford Road, with some additional attractions in the Physical Education Center (PEC). National Night Out is an opportunity to promote public and police partnerships, crime prevention and community camaraderie. Some of the highlights at this year’s event will include the following: Self-defense and safety tips; K9 and mobile field force demonstrations; Vehicles on display, including police and military vehicles, fire trucks, and the Rockford Police Command Center; REACT helicopter on campus (7:30-9 p.m.); Photo spot where kids can have a picture taken with or in a squad car; community vendors; games; music; giveaways; and free food.
The event is free and open to anyone in the community. The introduction of National Night Out, “America’s Night Out Against Crime,” in 1984 began an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie.
From the July 30-Aug. 5, 2014, issue