- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Second Annual The Writers Blok street art festival Aug. 2
The Second Annual The Writers Blok will take place Saturday, Aug. 2, on the grounds of Sinnissippi Park in front of The Symbol.
The Writers Blok 2014 is a free outdoor street art event that hopes to expand the reach of street art in Rockford by inspiring and educating the community about what street art really is.
The event runs 1 to 7 p.m. and will feature 18 artists who will be painting on plastic-wrapped walls where the audience will be able to watch the craft of a blank wall transform into a completed street art masterpiece.
Street art is a huge element of hip hop, and the event is bound to draw some attention from the city for its creativity and the ability of this creativity to bring together the community.
Special performances will be featured from Rhymesayers’ first lady, Psalm One aka Hologram Kizzie, and hip hop band Sidewalk Chalk. Also featured will be performances from Hustle and Culture and Gabe Gizz. DJs will be attending to provide the crowds with music for all ages, and food vendors will be on site to provide snacks and drinks while attendees mingle and take part in the formation of this astounding street art. Clothing vendors will also be making shirts available for purchase. Limited quantities will be available.
The event is sponsored by the Rockford Park District and Rockford Area Arts Council. For more information, visit http://rockfordhhc.org/twb2014.
From the July 30-Aug. 5, 2014, issue