- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
SwedishAmerican wins national organ donation award
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is honoring Rockford’s SwedishAmerican Hospital for excellence in support of organ donation.
SwedishAmerican was among a select group of hospitals nationwide recognized for reaching the Silver level of achievement for conducting activities that promoted enrollment in state organ donor registries. This is the second consecutive year SwedishAmerican received the silver status and the fourth year SwedishAmerican has won the award.
SwedishAmerican Hospital conducted awareness and registry campaigns to educate staff, patients, visitors and community members about critical need for organ, eye and tissue donors. By doing this, SwedishAmerican increased the number of potential donors on the state’s donor registry. The hospital earned points for each activity implemented between June 2013 and May 2014, and was awarded silver recognition through the Workplace Partnership for Life Hospital Campaign.
“I want to thank our hard-working and dedicated staff who helped make this possible,” said Sue Thompson, clinical nurse manager, Critical Care Unit. “Without their support and attentive care, recipients would not be living active and productive lives and donor families would not have a feeling of purpose surrounding the loss of a loved one. We are honored to achieve this award.”
To learn more about donor and tissue donation and transplantation from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, visit www.organdonor.gov.
From the July 30-Aug. 5, 2014, issue