- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
UPDATE: Kristen Smith guilty of kidnapping Wisconsin baby
UPDATE: A five-man, seven-woman jury found 31-year-old Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, guilty of federal kidnapping charges Thursday, July 31. Sentencing is scheduled for October. Smith faces life in prison.
By Jim Hagerty
Closing arguments in the trial of the woman accused of kidnapping her nephew from his Town of Beloit, Wisconsin, home and driving him to Iowa are expected today in Madison, Wisconsin.
Kristen Smith, 31, faces federal kidnapping charges in the disappearance of her 4-day-old nephew back in February. Smith allegedly snatched the boy and was on her way to her Colorado home, where prosecutors say she planned to pass the baby off as her own. When Smith was arrested after leaving the baby in sub-zero tempertures, she had a prosthetic pregnancy belly and other items consistent with faking a pregnancy, according to court documents.
Smith’s case unfolded Thursday, Feb. 6, when Kayden Powel went missing from his bassinet at the home of his parents, Brianna Marshall, and Bruce Powell, as the couple slept. Smith was arrested the next day in West Branch, Iowa. The baby was found unharmred in a plastic crate outside a gas station.
Smith is Marshall’s half-sister. She faces life in prison if convicted.