- Jimmy Clausen to start for Bears Sunday against Lions
- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
UPDATE: Kristen Smith guilty of kidnapping Wisconsin baby
UPDATE: A five-man, seven-woman jury found 31-year-old Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, guilty of federal kidnapping charges Thursday, July 31. Sentencing is scheduled for October. Smith faces life in prison.
By Jim Hagerty
Closing arguments in the trial of the woman accused of kidnapping her nephew from his Town of Beloit, Wisconsin, home and driving him to Iowa are expected today in Madison, Wisconsin.
Kristen Smith, 31, faces federal kidnapping charges in the disappearance of her 4-day-old nephew back in February. Smith allegedly snatched the boy and was on her way to her Colorado home, where prosecutors say she planned to pass the baby off as her own. When Smith was arrested after leaving the baby in sub-zero ttemperatures she had a prosthetic pregnancy belly and other items consistent with faking a pregnancy, according to court documents.
Smith’s case unfolded Thursday, Feb. 6, when Kayden Powel went missing from his bassinet at the home of his parents, Brianna Marshall, and Bruce Powell, as the couple slept. Smith was arrested the next day in West Branch, Iowa. The baby was found unharmred in a plastic crate outside a gas station.
Smith is Marshall’s half-sister. She faces life in prison if convicted.