- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
UPDATE: Kristen Smith guilty of kidnapping Wisconsin baby
UPDATE: A five-man, seven-woman jury found 31-year-old Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, guilty of federal kidnapping charges Thursday, July 31. Sentencing is scheduled for October. Smith faces life in prison.
By Jim Hagerty
Closing arguments in the trial of the woman accused of kidnapping her nephew from his Town of Beloit, Wisconsin, home and driving him to Iowa are expected today in Madison, Wisconsin.
Kristen Smith, 31, faces federal kidnapping charges in the disappearance of her 4-day-old nephew back in February. Smith allegedly snatched the boy and was on her way to her Colorado home, where prosecutors say she planned to pass the baby off as her own. When Smith was arrested after leaving the baby in sub-zero ttemperatures she had a prosthetic pregnancy belly and other items consistent with faking a pregnancy, according to court documents.
Smith’s case unfolded Thursday, Feb. 6, when Kayden Powel went missing from his bassinet at the home of his parents, Brianna Marshall, and Bruce Powell, as the couple slept. Smith was arrested the next day in West Branch, Iowa. The baby was found unharmred in a plastic crate outside a gas station.
Smith is Marshall’s half-sister. She faces life in prison if convicted.