- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
UPDATE: Kristen Smith guilty of kidnapping Wisconsin baby
UPDATE: A five-man, seven-woman jury found 31-year-old Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, guilty of federal kidnapping charges Thursday, July 31. Sentencing is scheduled for October. Smith faces life in prison.
By Jim Hagerty
Closing arguments in the trial of the woman accused of kidnapping her nephew from his Town of Beloit, Wisconsin, home and driving him to Iowa are expected today in Madison, Wisconsin.
Kristen Smith, 31, faces federal kidnapping charges in the disappearance of her 4-day-old nephew back in February. Smith allegedly snatched the boy and was on her way to her Colorado home, where prosecutors say she planned to pass the baby off as her own. When Smith was arrested after leaving the baby in sub-zero ttemperatures she had a prosthetic pregnancy belly and other items consistent with faking a pregnancy, according to court documents.
Smith’s case unfolded Thursday, Feb. 6, when Kayden Powel went missing from his bassinet at the home of his parents, Brianna Marshall, and Bruce Powell, as the couple slept. Smith was arrested the next day in West Branch, Iowa. The baby was found unharmred in a plastic crate outside a gas station.
Smith is Marshall’s half-sister. She faces life in prison if convicted.