- 20th Annual Honor the Mounds set for Saturday
- Cubs offense returns in sweep of Milwaukee
- TRRT Online Edition | Aug. 5-11
- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
Gas prices dip as August begins
Online Staff Report
An unusual but steady drop in gas prices in Winnebago County will leave drivers paying the lowest gas prices for an August start since 2012.
In Winnebago County, self-serve regular gasoline averages $3.51 per gallon, 25 cents lower than last month, and a 16-cent drop from July 2013.
Illinois and Indiana drivers are currently paying on average $3.56 and $3.48 respectively for a gallon of regular unleaded. Illinois prices reflect a drop of nearly $.27 from just a month ago, while Indiana prices have dropped $.15 in the past month. These prices represent the lowest prices for an August start since 2010.
In July in Illinois, gas prices averaged $3.68, which was down $.22 from June 2014 and down $.16 from 2013. In northern Indiana, gas prices averaged $3.59 in July, which was down $.27 from June and down $.17 from July 2013.
“Drivers in Illinois and Indiana looking to take their last summer road trip are catching a bit of a break with gas prices falling throughout July and into August due to minimal refinery issues and abundant supply,” said Beth Mosher, AAA spokeswoman. “The outlook for the remainder of August looks positive barring any unforeseen issues throughout the remainder of the hurricane season.”
Other July monthly averages across the region:
- Cook County: $3.92, down 24 cents from last month and $.18 lower than last year’s price-per-gallon.
- DuPage County: $3.69, a 30-cent decrease from June and down 26 cents from last year.
- Kane County: $3.62, 29 cents lower than July 2013’s price.
- Lake County: $3.64 per gallon, 29 cents lower than this time last year.
- McHenry County: $3.72 per gallon, which is $.27 lower than last month’s average and $.21 lower than July 2013’s price.