- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Late-summer field days announced for northwest Illinois
By U of I Extension
IPM for fall vegetables, hops production and agritourism are on the agenda for three different late-summer field days in northwest Illinois in August and September.
“We’re pleased to be offering these field days as a way for residents and growers to realize the diversity in local food operations in Jo Daviess, Stephenson and Winnebago counties,” said University of Illinois Extension Local Foods and Small Farms Educator Grant McCarty. “Each farm will focus on a different topic and provide a great educational opportunity for those who are considering production. You can register for one, two, or even all three.”
Field days will take place at the following dates and times:
• Tuesday, Aug. 12 — Integrated Pest Management (IPM)/Fall vegetable production, Funguy Farms, Pecatonica, Illinois, 6-7:30 p.m.;
• Saturday, Aug. 23 — Hops Production, Bier Blume Hops Farm, Lena, Illinois, 10-11:30 a.m.; and
• Wednesday, Sept. 10 — Agritourism with Pumpkins and Apples, Dittmar Farms and Orchard, Elizabeth, Illinois, 6-7:30 p.m.
These events are free and open to the general public, although information will be geared toward beginning and experienced growers. Registration is requested to get an accurate attendance count before the event and can be found at the University of Illinois Extension website at http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw/, along with maps to the farms. For more information, contact McCarty at firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 235-4125.
Posted Aug. 5, 2014