- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Late-summer field days announced for northwest Illinois
By U of I Extension
IPM for fall vegetables, hops production and agritourism are on the agenda for three different late-summer field days in northwest Illinois in August and September.
“We’re pleased to be offering these field days as a way for residents and growers to realize the diversity in local food operations in Jo Daviess, Stephenson and Winnebago counties,” said University of Illinois Extension Local Foods and Small Farms Educator Grant McCarty. “Each farm will focus on a different topic and provide a great educational opportunity for those who are considering production. You can register for one, two, or even all three.”
Field days will take place at the following dates and times:
• Tuesday, Aug. 12 — Integrated Pest Management (IPM)/Fall vegetable production, Funguy Farms, Pecatonica, Illinois, 6-7:30 p.m.;
• Saturday, Aug. 23 — Hops Production, Bier Blume Hops Farm, Lena, Illinois, 10-11:30 a.m.; and
• Wednesday, Sept. 10 — Agritourism with Pumpkins and Apples, Dittmar Farms and Orchard, Elizabeth, Illinois, 6-7:30 p.m.
These events are free and open to the general public, although information will be geared toward beginning and experienced growers. Registration is requested to get an accurate attendance count before the event and can be found at the University of Illinois Extension website at http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw/, along with maps to the farms. For more information, contact McCarty at email@example.com or (815) 235-4125.
Posted Aug. 5, 2014