- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
NIU offers VIP trip to Sept. 13 road game
By Doug Halberstadt
Last week, I wrote an article chronicling the upcoming Northern Illinois Huskies home football season. This week, I received an e-mail from NIU President Doug Baker and former Huskies running back Michael Turner that really has piqued my interest in one of their 2014 away games. They’ve graciously invited me to join them on a little road trip to watch the Huskies.
Saturday, Sept. 13, the Huskies will be in Sin City to take on UNLV. The NIU Athletic Department has put together a special VIP weekend in Las Vegas, and I’ve been invited to join this VIP group.
Our group will be staying at the Signature MGM Grand Hotel. Our weekend will start Thursday, Sept. 11, with a VIP dinner at MGM’s Shibuya restaurant. I just love that place!
Friday, we’re all going golfing at Jack Nicklaus-designed course Bear’s Best Las Vegas. I’d better make sure my clubs are polished up and ready to go.
Our travel package also includes round-trip transportation to the game on Saturday in time to join the NIU Alumni Association for the Official Pregame Reception. Tickets to the game are on sale by calling the Huskies Ticket Office at (815) 753-PACK.
OK, back to reality … I’m 100 percent certain neither my editor, nor my wife, would allow (pay for me) to go on this trip. But if this sounds like something you’d be interested in getting more information about, you can contact Mark Muhlhauser at firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 753-2029. There is limited space available. NIU has partnered with PrimeSport to create this VIP experience.
Baker and Turner closed their e-mail with the line, “Hope to see you in Vegas!” I didn’t have the heart to e-mail them back and tell them I won’t be able to tag along this year. I hope they won’t be too disappointed.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
Posted Aug. 5, 2014