- Remember, fireworks are dangerous
- Wallace asks citizens to fight cuts
- Dispute over state payroll rolls on
- Why fight over free trade confounds partisan divide
- Still no state budget
- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
- TRRT Online Edition | July 1-7
Police, Fire departments hold inaugural Rockford Safety Camp for Kids
The City of Rockford Police and Fire departments, in partnership with the Rockford Park District, have announced the inaugural Rockford Safety Camp for Kids. This camp is for students entering fourth grade in the Rockford area. The purpose of this camp is to teach students various ways they can be safe. Topics include bicycle safety, fire safety, water safety, animal safety, Internet safety and more.
The dates and locations of the camp are as follow:
• New Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 604 Salter Ave., Rockford. 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Aug. 12-13; and
• Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 3300 Rural St., Rockford. 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Aug. 14-15.
This camp is in addition to the summer Youth and Junior Police Academies sponsored by the Rockford Police Department, the Rockford Park District, the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department and the Winnebago County Probation Department. The Youth and Junior Police Academies are made possible through grants from the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois and the Rockford Park District.
“We are pleased to be able to support the Rockford Safety Camp for Kids,” said Rockford Fire Chief Derek Bergsten. “We look forward to working with the participants and helping them to make the City of Rockford a safer place.”
Rockford Police Chief Chet Epperson added, “The Police Department is excited about this great opportunity to connect with our young students and provide essential safety education.”
Registration applications can be obtained at the Public Safety Building front desk, any Rockford fire station or online at www.rockfordil.gov/police. Enrollment is limited to 50 students per class and it is on a first come, first served basis.
Posted Aug. 5, 2014