- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
- Neighborhood feel key for Rural on Tap
Meant to be: Woman spots herself in husband’s childhood photo
By Jim Hagerty
MOUSEHOLE, Cornwall, England — A newly married couple looking at photographs from their childhood discovered they once played on the same beach, on the same day, at the same moment, but didn’t meet for another decade.
Aimee Maiden and now-husband, Nick Wheeler, were looking through a pile of photos before their recent wedding when they come across one taken in 1994 at a Cornwall, England, beach.
She needed a second look, but Aimee soon recognized herself in the 20-year-old picture.
“The photo was taken by Nick’s grandad,” Aimee said.
Aimee also recognized members of her family.
In the shot, Nick, then 6, is in the foreground, grinning while building a large sand boat with his sister and two cousins. In the background, just a few yards away, a 5-year-old Aimee is doing the same. Both children were with their families that day but didn’t cross paths.
When the picture was taken, Maiden, now 25, lived in the town of Mousehole, near the beach. Nick lived in the county of Kent and was visiting the area. Aimee says she moved away shortly afterwards. Nick’s family moved to Cornwall a year later.
As it turned out, Nick and Aimee enrolled in the same college in Truro, Cornwall, where they met for the first time–more than a 11 years later. Before long, the couple fell in love and dated while Amy trained as a teacher and Nick joined the military.
They were engaged last year and married July 26. The ceremony was held just a minute’s walk from where their now-famous childhood picture was snapped.
The couple plans to frame the picture when they return from their honeymoon.