- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
Rockford’s Black Family Reunion Aug. 16-17
The 2014 Black Family Reunion Celebration — presented by the National Council of Negro Women, Inc., Rockford Section — will be from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 16, and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 17, at Ellis Elementary School, 222 S. Central Ave., Rockford. The event will include free food, fun and fellowship.
Clowns, bouncy house, children’s craft activities facilitated by the Rockford Park District and the Discovery Center, Rockford Police Department and Rockford Fire Department safety presentations and children’s physicals offered through the Ronald McDonald Bus, which will be present Saturday.
Rock City Unique Steppers, Eighteen11 & Red and the PlayRay Players, to name a few. There will also be a community-wide bingo game with prizes.
In addition to the entertainment, there will be food vendors with a variety of food cuisine, community service information booths, merchandise vendors and music by Rockford’s own DJ Rated AG.
The Black Family Reunion Celebration is open to all. The festival celebrates the enduring strengths and traditional values of the African-American family.
Posted Aug. 12, 2014